Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning Products

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 01:19 AM
RiderX
Road Master
Received 297 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Multi-Purpose Pledge

I have used multi-purpose pledge and microfiber towels for the in between soap and water cleanings for over a decade. I use it on paint, chrome, anodized aluminum, etc.., and it works wonders. A guy who used to rep for a major car company at national car shows said that this was an industry secret for a long time. As a result, the only time I every break out the soap and water is if I get caught in the rain or after traveling for several days on an extended trip.

Am I the only one who has heard of this?

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 03:04 AM
CPD
Cruiser
Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Been doing the same thing exact thing, only difference is I'm right at a decade.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:17 AM
RobertMarsh
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning products

Extraction of solvents includes many techniques that can be used this process. When it comes to distillation, the initial distillation process separates the solvents effectively. There is a lot of information provided here. Keep sharing this post more and more.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:11 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

Ya know, there's a sub-forum called Detailing which is full of info on this subject. All the questions I've ever had were answered quickly and easily by going there and looking around.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:33 AM
hootwester
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKing16
Im just curious what everyone uses for cleaning their bike. I have looked at the Harley products but am just curious if anyone has found anything better!
Griot's
https://www.griotsgarage.com/home.do
I found this stuff in AutoZone, it is spendy my sled my jeep are worth it.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:35 AM
Crabchuck
Road Master
Received 622 Likes on 317 Posts

Careful with SimpleGreen. It'll pit aluminum.

All Griots Garage for me.....

Old 07-03-2018, 11:15 AM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by hootwester
Griot's
https://www.griotsgarage.com/home.do
I found this stuff in AutoZone, it is spendy my sled my jeep are worth it.
+1

Love their products and the helpful videos.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:56 AM
bronson13
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2011 SG and a 2011 Ultra. I live in North Carolina and I commute 80 miles round trip per day. We have a long riding season and I try to ride to work just about everyday, sometimes 7 days a week.

A lot people will ask if I just washed by motorcycle because it is so clean. I use mostly Griot's Garage products and I usually only do one or two complete wash downs per year. I use Griot's wax, giving everything at least two good coats of wax at the beginning of each riding season. (I wash and clay the paint first)

I keep a small 2 gallon bucket about half full of water and about a cup of spray on car wash. I will keep this mix in the bucket for a week or less. Replacing when it gets dirty.
I keep a micro fiber towel in the bucket and use this mix to wipe down the paint to keep the bugs and grime off the surfaces. The bucket gets covered when I am done. I also hose off the cleaning towel after each use.

I do this every day, usually before I leave in the mornings. I keep the micro fiber towel very wet, almost to the point of dripping and use very light pressure across the paint. If I get a stubborn bug splat, I just keep the micro fiber towel on the splatter for a few minutes and it will lift off without scrubbing. I do one panel or piece at a time and I dry off the areas as I go with Griot's waffle drying towel. I do not use a lot of pressure to dry it off either. I also use the Griot's spray on wax on the paint about once week to touch up the wax. If the motorcycles get dusty or gets covered in the horrible pollen we get in the spring, I use a small blower first over the entire motorcycle.

A couple of things about this process. One, if you start out with an ultra clean surface and then use a couple of coats of really good wax, the dirt and bugs will not stick as the wax creates a barrier between the dirt and the paint. Two, by giving the motorcycle a quick wipe down everyday, I am not letting a lot of dirt accumulate on the surfaces. Yes, sometimes I will skip a day but I usually at least get the bugs off the fairing and windshield. This really only takes about 10 minutes. It also is good way to check out things on the motorcycle to make sure you do not have something lose or leaking. I only wash the wheels and tires once a month.

When I do a complete wash down I use a small blower to dry and the water rolls right off the paint.