Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 03:43 PM
xupd42bmg
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

Well my 2016 RG CVO should be here in the middle of May. I still haven't decided on the extended warranty because dang,,,,$1900 dollars is a lot of freaking money for a warranty. Still that's the reason I bought a new bike was to not have to worry about anything. I usually don't keep a bike any longer than a couple of years but I've never owned a bike this nice either. I can wait till my regular 2 years ends and add an extra 3yrs for $2100 which is the way I'm leaning but she said if I do that I'm losing the wheel and tire and expense reembersment coverage.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:53 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I can't help you there, except to say that having ridden bikes for almost 50 years there have been some I kept much longer than I expected (like my 1990 Glide!) and others I sold much sooner than expected. Do you have an option to extend the warranty later on, say before the stock one expires?

Old 03-22-2016, 03:53 PM
whocares
Road Warrior
Received 432 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Extended warranty

You already spent big bucks on a cvo,what's another $1900? Lol.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:57 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

I put it on my bike without even thinking. There are so many electronics that even without mechanical issues I'm sure I'll come out ahead. I chose not to on my Heritage and ended up in the hole for sure. In my opinion, if you are a high millage rider it is a safe bet to get all the warranty you can. If you don't get out much, and don't travel much, then it's probably not worth it. I didn't get the tire and wheel warranty because tires aren't a huge cost, and if I break a stock rim, it wouldn't be the end of the world, and maybe a good excuse to get some nicer ones, but on a CVO, I would have.

All that being said, you might also want to consider what you are going to do for mods, as many can cause warranty issues. No point spending all that money just to tear into the motor and void certain parts of it anyways.

Congrats on your new bike!

Old 03-22-2016, 04:08 PM
BigEd04
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Call Jim Palmer at Boardtracker HD and discuss options. He'll shoot you straight and save you a ton of money.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:09 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

They sell that warranty to make profit. Profit! Do I have to say more?

Old 03-22-2016, 04:23 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
Agreed that on average, they make profit. Again, if you are a high mile rider, you could very well be one of the bikes they don't profit from. They make their money off of garage queens... IMHO No different then getting full coverage insurance. The insurance companies make profit off of that on average, but I'm betting not very many new harleys are on the road without it.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:31 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

I always purchase the ESP. It's paid for itself & then some. You can always get a refund if you sale bike or check to see if you transfer to your next new bike. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:34 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
I always purchase the ESP. It's paid for itself & then some. You can always get a refund if you sale bike or check to see if you transfer to your next new bike. Good luck.

I got a decent partial refund when I traded my 14' for my 15'. I was told it couldn't be transferred.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:35 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
Take the money that the warranty is and put it in the bank, if anything should happen you'll have it if not your ahead.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty