Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal????

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 03:25 PM
meangreen02
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is this normal????

I am on my third Harley, but this is the first one I bought new. At 2000 mile service I had a shifter shaft seal leak, today I took it in for 5000 mile service only to find out I have an oil seal leak and my primary was filling with oil. This must have started leaking today or yesterday because I replaced the derby cover two days ago and I did not notice excess oil. Mechanic said when he removed it today the primary immediately started spilling oil.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:33 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Things can happen even to a newer bike.Seems funny though you had just had the clutch cover off and didn't have a problem with excess oil flowing out.If its under warranty, let them do their thing.Hope the tech was smart enough to have bike upright and not on the side stand.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:33 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

2000 mile service?

Old 05-23-2016, 10:02 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
2000 mile service?

Old 05-24-2016, 11:24 AM
meangreen02
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
yes I have prepaid service, they had me bring it in at 1000, then 2000 (now that you mention it might have been 3000) and now 5000 is this not correct??

Old 05-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Normal is 1k, 5K, 10K.......

Old 05-24-2016, 04:55 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
Things can happen even to a newer bike.Seems funny though you had just had the clutch cover off and didn't have a problem with excess oil flowing out.If its under warranty, let them do their thing.Hope the tech was smart enough to have bike upright and not on the side stand.
==================================

" Hope the tech was smart enough to have bike upright and not on the side stand. "

And add to that the fact that when oil is up to full op temp it expands x-amount increasing it's lvl within the primary making it seem at though it may be overfilled when truly not.

HD's do have that issue once in a while but not that often esp at only 5k miles.

Even though it may still be under warranty its never good to have people wrenching on the bike if its not really needed because if poor workmanship is done they can end up with more problems then you 1st had if any at all.

If it was my bike still under warranty i'd drain & refill prim case as per manual and also check trans & motor oil to ensure they are @ proper lvl & the shop didnt mess with them.

Then i'd take the bike for a ride or 2 and then check prim case oil lvl again with bike/motor/prim case at same approx temp it was when he just changed prim case oil and that bike is upright/not on side the stand.

If it shows normal lvl close it up and check again 300-500 mile later,if still checks out ok on this 2nd oil lvl check you should be good to go and either the wrench @ the shop screwed up or the shop is trying to generate more warranty srv'c work.

But if the either the 1st or 2nd prim case oil lvl chk shows the oil lvl in prim case did in fact increase when propely cheking it with bike not on sidestand and at same approx temp too ,that's when i'd take it back to the shop for warranty srv'c.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 05-24-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:05 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
Funny is not the word I would use.....Fishy is a better one.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:29 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
==================================

" Hope the tech was smart enough to have bike upright and not on the side stand. "

And add to that the fact that when oil is up to full op temp it expands x-amount increasing it's lvl within the primary making it seem at though it may be overfilled when truly not.

HD's do have that issue once in a while but not that often esp at only 5k miles.

Even though it may still be under warranty its never good to have people wrenching on the bike if its not really needed because if poor workmanship is done they can end up with more problems then you 1st had if any at all.

If it was my bike still under warranty i'd drain & refill prim case as per manual and also check trans & motor oil to ensure they are @ proper lvl & the shop didnt mess with them.

Then i'd take the bike for a ride or 2 and then check prim case oil lvl again with bike/motor/prim case at same approx temp it was when he just changed prim case oil and that bike is upright/not on side the stand.

If it shows normal lvl close it up and check again 300-500 mile later,if still checks out ok on this 2nd oil lvl check you should be good to go and either the wrench @ the shop screwed up or the shop is trying to generate more warranty srv'c work.

But if the either the 1st or 2nd prim case oil lvl chk shows the oil lvl in prim case did in fact increase when propely cheking it with bike not on sidestand and at same approx temp too ,that's when i'd take it back to the shop for warranty srv'c.

Scott
Listen to Scott. I would be damn sure the tech isn't just looking for and easy job on warranty.......happens a bunch

Old 05-24-2016, 09:04 PM
meangreen02
Cruiser

Ok so here is the deal, I let them do the repair and when leaving I said so my next service is at 10,000 right. TECH says no you have pre-paid service so the next one is at 7500. What gives I have been paying extra for full SYN and getting the oil changed every 2 to 3 thousand anyone else ever hear of this????

Quick Reply: Is this normal????