Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike dies/shuts off while riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 10:51 AM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Replacing the main breaker is not the cure, the wires corrode at the crimp area of the terminal. Splice in a 40 amp maxi fuse and eliminate the MCB.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:24 AM
RoadKingCop
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Several of the kill switches on the handlebars of our bikes have gone bad.

Very intermittent.

Ben

Old 05-01-2017, 11:33 AM
00copglide
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the wiring harness along the frame where it comes from the fairing...i have a 2000 flhtpi and had those same symptoms.....turned out to be three broken main wires in the harness...Those years were known to have problems in that area...good luck

good

Old 05-01-2017, 11:52 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Check the harness as described and use a big rubber hammer to bang on bars while turning to complete left and right..
A big rubber hammer gets a lot more vibration on the bike.
Just hit solid metal like bars or frame.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:17 PM
Hawk66
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, Seems like after a couple different parts thrown at the bike, so far it looks like it had a faulty system relay

Old 04-24-2019, 02:46 PM
Karl Matthews
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main breaker

Originally Posted by Hawk66
I have a very nerve wracking problem with my 02 Ultra. It started while cutting out/ dying for a couple seconds while riding. Just like I hit the run/stop switch by accident (which I didn't). It would shut off long enough to startle me and then kick back in before I could get to side of road. It does NOT lose electrical when this happens so it is NOT the main circuit breaker which has been updated. Temperature of bike doesn't seem to make difference and neither does fuel level. Two or three times it has shut off long enough for me to coast to side of road and re-start WITHOUT cycling run/off switch--I just hit start. Last time was in middle of intersection when I was starting from stop. Took a little more for it to start that time but normally starts right up. Runs and starts awesome the rest of time. I have thrown a crank sensor at it to try and fix problem. Only once did the check engine light come on when it died and stayed on for short period of time otherwise it doesn't. MODS done to bike are Bassani slip ons, stage one kit and power commander. This problems was occurring before any mods were done. I have scoured many forums for help. I also have the service and diagnostics manuals which don't help with intermittent problem. Thinking along the lines of bank angle sensor, ignition switch or maybe run/kill switch. Fuel pump was replaced in 2013 and I have "wiggle tested harness. Any advice is greatly appreciated----cannot trust bike at all
I had the same thing happen to me on my '02 Ultra Classic. After having the main circuit breaker replaced, (which was a recall) I still had the same problem of the bike shutting off at random times. I did some digging and found out that the placement of breaker located it too close to the rear cylinder, despite being mounted on a gusset. The heat from the cylinder radiated through the steel gusset and caused the breaker to overheat, which made it trip. I extended the wiring for it and relocated it down to the fuse block, behind the left side cover.
Problem solved. It never happened again after that.
Good luck, I hope this helps.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:28 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Not sure if this will help you But my 08 UC did the same thing , turned out to be when the coil got hot i lost spark . My mechanic tested and showed the issue when he put a heat gun near it. new coil no issues LOTS OF LUCK !!!

Old 04-25-2019, 05:09 PM
Gatlin
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1957buick
Not sure if this will help you But my 08 UC did the same thing , turned out to be when the coil got hot i lost spark . My mechanic tested and showed the issue when he put a heat gun near it. new coil no issues LOTS OF LUCK !!!
I hope he has it figured out by now, that was 2 years ago lol