Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIND - WTF - is it just me, or........

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:31 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WIND - WTF - is it just me, or........

do we all have issues when the wind blows at a good clip???

Does your scoot cut right thru it or do you get "pushed" around???

Today in NE Wisconsin, the wind was 25-30 mph.

I had a tough time keeping my '05 Ultrain a straight line; all over the place - especially at 50 mph+ into the wind.

Took the fun right out of my 250 mile ride today.

Wondering if there is something wrong or if this is normal for a batwing bike???

Old 06-08-2007, 09:48 PM
MDMYMD
Road Captain
Default RE: WIND - WTF - is it just me, or........

I have a RKCustom with a windshield and I sometimes get blown around as well. In fact, the only time I have been really scared on the bike was at about 80 mph in a turn on I-81 and a wind gust blew me from the right third of the lane to the left third of the lane. I slowed to about 55 mph and was "hit" again, which moved the bike around pretty good. I don't think anything is wrong with your bike, it just the way the wind gusts sometimes grab the bike. I hate the wind!!!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:55 PM
old.gezr
Road Captain

Here in Northern Nevada, it being high desert, we have wind. 20mph is'nt unusual. Some places just south of Reno 40mph is normal and it blows trucks and travel trailers over. There is a wind warning sign on the road before you get there with a bypass road to get around it, but there are alway a few nuts that want to make the evening news! It moves my SG around pretty good. Usually there's not much traffic so I just go with it, but it can be tricky. Always, in the wind.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:01 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think it is just you. Just like a good side wind blows my van around, it will also blow my Ultra around. Granted, the bike doesn't have the same cross section as the van, but at the same time, it only has 1/2 the wheels on the ground too.

On my RK, I had a taller than stock windshield, which acted like a sail....worse, if I had the soft lowers on it. With the Ultra, the wind effects aren't as bad, but it still knocks me around a bit, especially at higher speeds.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:04 PM
dionne51
Road Captain

I rode sport bikes for years and am now on a Street Glide and I would say that the weight of the HD helps with high winds but still get blown around a fair bit, expecially with cross-winds. Never been on a bike that wasn't affected by high winds (or when passing a semi-trailer for that matter and breaking through his flow lines).

D

Old 06-08-2007, 10:04 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Should a' Bought a "Road Glide"...
Frame mounted Shark Nose Fairing Cuts through the Wind Better & NO strain on the steering\forks - Live near Palm Springs and around 4pm the wind normally blows 10 - 20mph and when the wind blows hard it's 45 - 65 mph... They close the 10Fwy sometimes as it blows over trucks & Campers... Then again that could be the reason they mounted all those Fan out here??? (LOL)

WIND SUCKS - NO MATTER WHAT YA RIDE!!!!

Old 06-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Road Glider
Tourer

Second that on the Road Glide! I did the Mackinaw Bridge with 30 -35 MPH winds last fall with my riding buddieson EG's and UG's and they were blowing all over the place....me, I got pushed a little from the side but no effect on the steering...

07 Road Glide
Stage 1
SE Touring Slip-Ons

Old 06-08-2007, 10:47 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

An advantage of having the side car - stability.

Hack

Old 06-08-2007, 10:57 PM
DrLove907
Cruiser

It's been windy here in Chicago the past couple of days and I've been getting my A$$ kicked by the wind. It was 92 degrees yesterdayso the wind was not going to stop me. When at a light was the worst, the crosswindsalmost knocked me over.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Blackisfast
Tourer

RG makes *all* the difference...cross winds, trucks, flow lines and a more comfortable ride.

Quick Reply: WIND - WTF - is it just me, or........