Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with '76 Harley Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Sscribner07
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with '76 Harley Electra Glide

Hey Harley folks! A few years ago my boyfriend's father passed away and left behind a very nice 76 Harley Electra Glide. I don't believe anything is wrong with the bike itself but at some point the man stopped riding it so it has been sitting in a barn on a trailer for over a decade. It is low mileage (I thonk 12,500?) and he had also plenty of extra fenders and saddlebags in box to go with it (known hoarding). He also has the white Electra glide front shield and original white hard saddlebags, they are currently detached.

I posted a few pictures because we don't know much about it and don't know where to start when we List It. I have my motorcycle license but is too much for me.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Old 09-13-2017, 04:48 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts

You may want to post this in the Shovelhead section under the Classic heading ... you will probably get more information from those that know the machine.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:51 PM
billib1954
Road Master
Received 354 Likes on 233 Posts

See if you can get it running and that everything (trans, etc) works. Being able to say that will greatly affect what you can get for it. Put a battery in it, reinstall the fairing and bags, clean it up some and then list on ebay. Set a reserve for what you will be happy with getting. If it was my Dad's, I would restore it, but it won't be cheap. Hope you have the title. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:59 PM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by FreedomRider
You may want to post this in the Shovelhead section under the Classic heading ... you will probably get more information from those that know the machine.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:11 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

Its worth 6-8 k possibly if its cleaned up, runs and you can find all the parts. Looks like it had some issues.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:16 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

Another suggestion...I read and reread the original post, and although it told an interesting story, OP didn't make clear what she needed from us...and also, it needs to be in the correct forum...

Old 09-13-2017, 10:06 PM
Sscribner07
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the record I posted asking for any infprmation. I am not a motorcycle person and you are.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:19 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by FreedomRider
OP, this here is the best info you've gotten so far. An open request for 'information ' without narrowing it down a lot isn't gonna be productive. However, if you post something there with specific questions, you'll get specific answers from folks who know shovelheads.

​​​​​​​Another alternative would be to make contact with a local expert who can devote some time for your questions. I have done that for some folks in my area, but it's a different deal on the World Wide Web.

Last edited by Veekness; 09-13-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:34 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 828 Posts

I had a couple of Shovelheads the last few years, and I found a lot of good info in the Shovelhead section. As I have learned, there can be a lot of "tinkering" that comes with owning a Shovel. More than I thought. So if you are up to a task, and have time on your side, dive into learning how these magnificent sounding machines work and drive. So, you have a few options. A lot of interest is in "barn finds" Where people get these bikes running, just blow the dust off and ride em like they found them. But like I said, you will need to learn to work on them mechanically. Get some books, go to some bike shows, talk to people.

The other is to restore it. You sound like you would have to pay someone to restore it due to the lack of mechanical ability. A nice bike like this should go to a reputable Shovel re-storer, not the cheapest guy in the area.

A 3rd is to sell it and see it go to someone that knows these bikes and has a love for them, and will keep you in touch to show you the bike when it is completed. That will give you some satisfaction that you did what your dad always wanted to do. Complete the restore so others can enjoy it.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:54 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,012 Likes on 2,603 Posts

As it sits in the pics, $3k is what it is worth, if you have all the parts that are not on the bike. Maybe less. Nothing exceptional or desirable about that particular bike. Just a nice old Shovel in a mostly stock state.

Me, I would put it all together and get it running, maybe a quick bath but not much more, it has nice patina. If you can work your way thru the mechanical issues and turn it into a runner, $5-$6k is still all she is worth. If it was my father's bike, that would be my plan of action.

As stated, Classic/Shovelhead section might get you some more looks and ask specific questions. More pics of the parts would be helpful as well. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Help with '76 Harley Electra Glide