Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankcase ventilation? Oil gets sucked from the primary into crankcase and oil tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 11:54 AM
General Hangover
Cruiser
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Question Crankcase ventilation? Oil gets sucked from the primary into crankcase and oil tank

Hello,

I've trouble where I don't know how to continue.

Preface:
My bike is a 1992 Electra Glide Sport with the Evolution engine. One, with the very ugly speedo/tach combination in the huge case made from cast metal.

In 2006, there was a crack in the crankcase and bought an overhauled new engine via Harley-Davidson's Remanufacturing program. Maybe that's an important information!

This year, I was so tired of this nasty instrument panel that I decided to get rid of it and replace it against the lovely nacelle from the years later than my model.

I bought a complete Road King from 1995. It was cheap because it had an accident but there were only some scratches on the right and one saddlebag was broken. I rode this bike for a few days without problems. An ideal parts carrier for my project.

To get the electronic speedo signal, I've moved the whole transmission and put the one from the 1995 Road King to my 1992 Electra Glide. All that happens without any problems. I had just to change the crankcase ventilation from a bottom ventilated engine to a top end ventilated engine. The reason was simple: Exact at the place where the elbow fitting to hose for the ventilation tube on the crankcase side is, is the fitting for the pipe from the oilpan to the oilfilter. And absolutely no space left to use both of them (see picture).
So I closed the hole at the crankcase with a plug and opened the ventilation at the cylinder heads using the breather screws from the Road King. The umbrella valves aren't yet installed.

Now the trouble:
Since I did this, my primary gets sucked by the engine. All the oil goes to the oil tank and overfills it - while the primary gets empty.

Although I couldn't imagine that it was broken (the engine has only run 24.000 mls), I have replaced the oil seal and the sprocket shaft spacer. But that didn't change anything.

I guess it has something to do with crankcase ventilation. I don't know it - but I feel it...
If the engine is running, there's a lot of air comin out of the hose connected at the top end - so the ventilation seems to work.

Who knows, what's to do?

Thanks for your help!

Jens

Attached Thumbnails Crankcase ventilation? Oil gets sucked from the primary into crankcase and oil tank-1-300817130919-34082448.jpg  
Old 09-17-2017, 06:53 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Just a guess, but I bet those holes in the head are not drilled through to provide ventilation. If that's the case, then plugging the case resulted in no ventilation at all. It seems strange it is drawing oil in and not pushing it out all over the place, but who knows. May need to replace the heads from the 95, or better yet the whole engine from the 95.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:57 AM
General Hangover
Cruiser

Good morning,

I also have already thought, that the holes aren't drilled. But it's a 92 engine so it should and if not, why is coming some air out of the breather screws/hoses?

Jens

Old 09-19-2017, 02:35 PM
General Hangover
Cruiser
Unhappy You lost the bet

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Just a guess, but I bet those holes in the head are not drilled through to provide ventilation.

You lost the bet. I removed the cover from the front cylinder today and found even one umbrella valve.
The company installed it while I used the remanufacturing program in 2006.
And also the holes are drilled.

Any other idea what is happening?

Jens

Attached Thumbnails Crankcase ventilation? Oil gets sucked from the primary into crankcase and oil tank-rockerbox-harley-005.jpg   Crankcase ventilation? Oil gets sucked from the primary into crankcase and oil tank-rockerbox-harley-006.jpg  
Old 09-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Is there a hose that goes into the back side of the primary? maybe in between the engine and transmission? I seem to remember on Shovelheads they had a vent hose that went into the primary, don't know about Evo engines. If there is a hose connected to the primary, see where it goes, it may be drawing a vacuum and pulling the oil out. If there is not a hose or other connection to the engine, I have no idea how the oil could move from the primary to the engine.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:18 AM
General Hangover
Cruiser
Unhappy The mystery continues ....

Hello,

taking advantage the cold temperature in winter, I continued working on my bike.

Meanwhile I put also the inner primary (plus starter) from my 95 Road King to the old 92 Electra Glide. But, as feared, this wasn't the origin of trouble. After a 40 mls test ride today, the primary oil was sucked into the engine again. The primary oil level was a finger's breadth dropped while the oil level in the oil tank rises.

Now I would say, the error must be at the engine - because that's the only remaining part from 92. And here I assume, it's anything with the conversion from food breathing to head breathing. But what???

Any help is appreciated.

Jens

Old 03-11-2018, 10:21 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Tried sending you a link via PM but it won’t let me link to another site for whatever reason. Over on v-twin forum there is a thread about a 94 FXR that had the same problem. Many good suggestions on where to look and what the guy actually found. You’ll have to google “94 FXR sucking primary oil into crankcase” to find it.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:59 PM
General Hangover
Cruiser

Hi Dawg,

thanks for the link. I know the thread already.
I did already all the things mentioned in this thread. I removed all the screws from the stator as well as the two for the cable and put it back with sealant. Also the oil seal for the sprocket shaft I've replaced again to be really sure. Since the engine ran without errors before the conversion, I don't believe in a crack in the crankcase. A crack to slurp such amount of oil must be visible.

I guess, it has to do with the conversation from bottom ventilation to top end ventilation. Maybe, there's something I've to do behind the nosecone? But what could that be?

Jens

Old 03-25-2018, 01:55 PM
General Hangover
Cruiser
Thumbs down Overpressure in the primary

Hello,

the problem still exists and drives me cracy.
Today I put an inspection cover with a fitting and a transparent hose to the bike a started a ride with 55mph (Look at the pictures to see what I did).
After a short while some oil gets drained to the hose. Not so much that it spits out of the hose. It stays on a level and nothing else happens. After 15 miles I stopped and checked the oil level. It was ok - no oil from the primary was drained to the oil pan and the primary oil from the hose ran back into the primary chain case.
Now I head home and rode the bike with 75mph for 15mls. Again some oil from the primary chaincase was pushed into the hose. Now the Level was higher than before when I was riding with 55mhp.
At home I checked the oil level again and now, some oil from the primary chaincase was drained to the oil pan.

Against my to my previous assumption, there's now vakuum in the primary chain case - there's an overpressure.
But where does it comes from?

Who knows advice?

Regards
Jens

Attached Thumbnails Crankcase ventilation? Oil gets sucked from the primary into crankcase and oil tank-druckmessung-prim-r-002.jpg   Crankcase ventilation? Oil gets sucked from the primary into crankcase and oil tank-druckmessung-prim-r-003.jpg  

Last edited by General Hangover; 03-25-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:03 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Primary oil entering into the hose you have is normal fluid dynamics. I am not an expert, but the guys in the EVO sub forum can probably help you out. They have forgotten more knowledge than I will ever know.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-classic-models-84/