Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Dynamics LED Passing Lamp Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 09:00 AM
traveler2000
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Custom Dynamics LED Passing Lamp Problem

Hopefully, someone with a lot more mechanical knowledge than I will know what this is.

Recently, I installed a Custom Dynamics’ Trubeam LED halo headlamp & Hi/Lowbeam plug on my 2006 HD Roadking. I absolutely love its clean white light. Accordingly, I decided to purchase their 4.5 inch Trubeam Passing Lamps to complete my LED lighting upgrade project. After installing both LED passing lamps, I discovered the left Passing Lamp activated while the right Passing Lamp wouldn’t work. Thinking the right lamp was bad, I swapped both lamps only to discover the left Lamp again worked while the right Lamp again failed to light. (Either Lamp works as long as it is in the left socket.) Thinking the right socket might be bad, I removed the LED Passing Lamp and reinstalled the stock incandescent stock bulb in the right socket and it works fine. I tried the other stock bulb in the right socket and that bulb works as well. So, I’m now really confused.

The Custom Dynamic LED Trubeam Passing Lamps (either) work only in my left Passing Lamp Socket. My stock HD Passing Lamps work in either socket. I can mix lamps by putting the LED passing lamp in the left socket and stock lamp in the right socket and both work. If two Custom Dynamics Trubeam LED Passing Lamps are installed, only the left lamp will light and work in the left socket while the right remains dark. I removed all lamps from both sockets and installed either Trubeam LED Passing Lamp in the right socket while leaving the left socket vacant and neither will light & work while there.

If the right Passing Lamp connector was bad, why does it work with the stock HD Passing Lamp and not the LED lamp from Custom Dynamics? It’s obviously delivering power to the stock bulb. Anyone know what’s going on? Help!

Old 03-24-2018, 09:17 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler2000
Hopefully, someone with a lot more mechanical knowledge than I will know what this is.

Recently, I installed a Custom Dynamics’ Trubeam LED halo headlamp & Hi/Lowbeam plug on my 2006 HD Roadking. I absolutely love its clean white light. Accordingly, I decided to purchase their 4.5 inch Trubeam Passing Lamps to complete my LED lighting upgrade project. After installing both LED passing lamps, I discovered the left Passing Lamp activated while the right Passing Lamp wouldn’t work. Thinking the right lamp was bad, I swapped both lamps only to discover the left Lamp again worked while the right Lamp again failed to light. (Either Lamp works as long as it is in the left socket.) Thinking the right socket might be bad, I removed the LED Passing Lamp and reinstalled the stock incandescent stock bulb in the right socket and it works fine. I tried the other stock bulb in the right socket and that bulb works as well. So, I’m now really confused.

The Custom Dynamic LED Trubeam Passing Lamps (either) work only in my left Passing Lamp Socket. My stock HD Passing Lamps work in either socket. I can mix lamps by putting the LED passing lamp in the left socket and stock lamp in the right socket and both work. If two Custom Dynamics Trubeam LED Passing Lamps are installed, only the left lamp will light and work in the left socket while the right remains dark. I removed all lamps from both sockets and installed either Trubeam LED Passing Lamp in the right socket while leaving the left socket vacant and neither will light & work while there.

If the right Passing Lamp connector was bad, why does it work with the stock HD Passing Lamp and not the LED lamp from Custom Dynamics? It’s obviously delivering power to the stock bulb. Anyone know what’s going on? Help!
The first (if it is was me) is to call CD. Being that your bike is an 06, maybe a load equalize is required, just a guess on my part. Welcome to the forum, I sure others will chime in and offer support.

The following users liked this post:
traveler2000 (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 09:23 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

LED's are polarity sensitive while filament bulbs are not. Current can only pass through in one direction (diode), try reversing the wires on the one that doesn't work.

Last edited by joe.1955; 03-24-2018 at 09:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by joe.1955:
hbsoldier3 (03-24-2018), traveler2000 (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 09:26 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Did you have to wire adapter connectors to get them to work in your 06? If so, as stated above, sounds like a polarity issue.

traveler2000 (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 09:36 AM
traveler2000
2nd Gear

No, the plug adapter wasn’t required. Since both LED lamps work in the left PL socket, I’m beginning to think the right socket is the problem straight from Harley.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:04 PM
keithl3030
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I put LED bulbs and went to truck-lite LED lamp's in my 06 rk and never had a problem. I have headlight and passing lights

traveler2000 (03-25-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 06:10 PM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I can guarantee you that you have a polarity problem with the socket that's not working with the LED. Switch the wires and you'll be OK. You don't need equalizers on any lights unless they're running flasher relays (turn signals).

Old 03-24-2018, 06:12 PM
keithl3030
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

maybe you could try them in a different bike to see if they work right

Old 03-24-2018, 06:16 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

I agree with Tracker56 that its a polarity issue on the side that's not working just swap the wires.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:54 AM
traveler2000
2nd Gear

It was a polarity issue guys. Harley had reversed the wires in the right side Passing Lamp Connector at the factory. It never mattered using the stock incandescent lamps. Now that they’re working, WOW....What a difference!

Thanks to each of you for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

Quick Reply: Custom Dynamics LED Passing Lamp Problem