Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant get over how much dealer OTD prices vary

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 10:15 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by krielly66
With the Rinehart slip ons added into the equation (at what my cost would be), I'm actually $3500 and change better off going with the dealership 50 miles away. It actually pissed me off so much I'm not even giving them the opportunity. We've bought 4 bikes from our local dealer over the past few years. Time for a change. May even take my service work away as well.
I'm with you. I expect the dealer I do business with to give me their best deal. I won't come back with someone else's price - I'll reward that dealer with my business for doing right by me in the 1st place. Fifty miles is nothing.

The following 2 users liked this post by nevada72:
b1gj0n44 (10-24-2017), s-glide76 (10-28-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 11:05 AM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 331 Posts

Yep...... And the posts never end from guys wanting OTD buying advice on bikes here....
And walk into westcoast dealers wanting to pay midwest pricing...... And getting hurt when told to pack sand.....

Old 10-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 561 Posts

it is a free market and dealerships only get so many bikes. i dont blame them for getting every penny they can it is called business. If you can find a better price go with it but dont cry about a dealerships pricing. just move along.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:31 AM
IBAHOG
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two dealership within a hour drive from me both owned by the same man one was $2200 cheaper that the other on-a RGS. Both had the same bike with the same price setting on the floor...

Old 10-21-2017, 08:24 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

It’s not only Harley dealers that are all over the place. I was looking for a small pickup and went to 4 different dealers. Same trade in, same model truck with the same options, even the same color! OTD was about $6000 different from the highest price to the lowest price. I got the cheapest price at a dealer that had just opened and were desperate for clean used vehicles and they had over ordered the truck I wanted. They had about 25 sitting on their lot.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:27 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by timbo141
Excellent customer service, good experienced mechanics, sales staff, parts people come at a price.
To keep good people you need to pay good people.
We all want a good fair price. I am willing to pay a little more for the better experience.
Like what was mentioned, tell them your findings. Don't just leave pissed off.
Good luck and enjoy your new scoot.
I don't know the pricing of the deal but $2800 difference ought to be 10% or more. IMO thats a pretty hefty premium to pay.

I don't disagree with lettling them know. In fact if you like them so much take the low quote to them. Tell them I'm buying today, either here and now or an hour from now and 50 miles away, their choice.
You'll certainly find out if you mean as much to them as they do to you...

Old 10-22-2017, 07:10 AM
HarleyBP
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 93 Posts

This is why it is always a good idea to shop around for any vehicle. I went to three different HD Dealers before purchasing my bike and am pleased with the deal I was able to negotiate. It was the same routine I go through every time I buy a car. I have to compete for business all the time in my line of work, so the Dealers should do the same. I don't begrudge any business making a decent profit, however i don't want to be taken advantage of, so it is prudent to shop around.
If you like your local Dealer, and would prefer to do business there, I would present them with the best offer you have negotiated and give them a shot at the business. If they turn it down, ride in on your new bike after you purchase it and enjoy the "shocked" look on the sales persons face when they see you!

Old 10-22-2017, 02:10 PM
14Glide
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyBP
This is why it is always a good idea to shop around for any vehicle. I went to three different HD Dealers before purchasing my bike and am pleased with the deal I was able to negotiate. It was the same routine I go through every time I buy a car. I have to compete for business all the time in my line of work, so the Dealers should do the same. I don't begrudge any business making a decent profit, however i don't want to be taken advantage of, so it is prudent to shop around.
If you like your local Dealer, and would prefer to do business there, I would present them with the best offer you have negotiated and give them a shot at the business. If they turn it down, ride in on your new bike after you purchase it and enjoy the "shocked" look on the sales persons face when they see you!
Agreed. I might pay a couple hundred more for a local dealer but not thousands. Are they going to give you a discount on service and parts because they like you?

Old 10-22-2017, 03:31 PM
Rude dog
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Hunt the best deal, then ... if you feel like you want to give your local dealer another shot, see if they'll beat it. Maybe they'll at least meet it? Me, I genuinely tried to deal with my local dealer, but they were just ridiculously high in price (almost $4K more). So, I went with another dealer..

Old 10-23-2017, 05:42 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
I'm with you. I expect the dealer I do business with to give me their best deal. I won't come back with someone else's price - I'll reward that dealer with my business for doing right by me in the 1st place. Fifty miles is nothing.
I'm like you on that. I won't come back with someone else's price either. For one reason, it's none of the highest dealer's business what price I paid the lowest dealer. All the high dealer needs to know is that their price wasn't good enough...they SHOULDN'T be told by how much! Maybe next time a potential buyer comes in they will deal more fairly

I don't have any more loyalty to a dealer than he has towards me. I'll show them just as much as they show me...and the reverse is also true. But I never get emotional about it either. It's just business.

You got to ask yourself this question to put it into real perspective:
Do I want to buy the dealer's wife that $2300 diamond ring, or would I rather buy the ring for MY WIFE?

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (10-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Cant get over how much dealer OTD prices vary