Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 09:52 AM
xnysgt
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Torres
Hey ya’ll I’m new here. My name is Brandon. I have a 2012 road Glide with 33k miles. I’ve felt like the front end is very unstable, the other day I was driving down the interstate @ 90mph and the front end started to lightly shake like it wanted to go in to a death wobble. My buddy has a good looking pretty well built 08 rocker c with 8500 milked on it and I kinda convinced him to trade me. I’m now thinking about it and wondering if I’m making a bad deal. Does anyone have experiences with these two bikes? I’ve only owned the road Glide for 6 months I paid 10.5k for it.
I would never trade a RG for a Rocker. Two totally different bikes with totally different riding experiences, but for me I'd take the RG all day because it's a cruiser and much more comfortable for longer rides. Check out your front tire and wheel, that's where your problem likely is.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:07 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Ditch the laced wheels and get the cast wheels that belong on that bike. Adjust the steering fall away and check your forks for proper maintenance and fluid.
That, that and that.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:47 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Ditch the laced wheels and get the cast wheels that belong on that bike. Adjust the steering fall away and check your forks for proper maintenance and fluid.
This. And talknyourself off that ledge of trading. No way that discontinued bike is worth what yours is. That's just my opinion.

Old 12-02-2017, 01:51 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

....and Colorado interstates really suck at any speed between 0 and 90mph

Old 12-02-2017, 02:13 PM
Brandon Torres
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again fellas! It’s has the 96’ with s&s heads 103 cam stage 3 tune closed fuel loop system or something screaming eagle ignition new suspension on and on.... my buddy built it to race crotch rockets but he always builds **** and then sells it a few months after he builds it.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:48 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,250 Likes on 6,010 Posts

check wheel bearings too.... check threads here..... several on bad wheel bearings.... I had one go out last fall.....

Old 12-02-2017, 10:06 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Steering head fall away
Monotubes up front in the forks
Put the right wheel back on get rid of the spokes.
New wheel bearings
Balance your tires with ride on
Run the max pressure on the tire sidewall.

This should fix your issue.
Roadglide is the best bike Harley makes.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:18 PM
UPSGUY
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a set of cast wheels in my basement and they can be yours just pay shipping!!! Road Glides are the best riding bike you can buy!!!

Old 12-02-2017, 10:46 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Touring bikes are not sport~ tourers. Harleys are not stable at "upper" speeds. This, proved by the "Death Wobble."
Operate your bike within the parameters the Harley engineers had designed into it, and you'll have a ride without stability issues. (Annnnnd, you you won't suffer from the "Death wobble.")

Old 12-02-2017, 11:16 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Lot of wisdom here. The only thing I’d mention is to think about what you want in a ride. As stated these are two very different machines - trying to hold onto that Rocker at sustained interstate speeds will beat you up fast, so unless you’re committed to short hops and a few weekenders I’d advise against it no matter how good it looks.

I ride a King because it’s a light tourer with a detachable windshield; that’s something else to consider. As to speed, 80 is sustainable on a bike in well maintained condition. I’ll agree with Norty on the high speed stuff; it’s best to ‘Just Say No’.

Luck.

Quick Reply: Please help