Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wrecked the bike yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 10:16 AM
tinner73
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wrecked the bike yesterday

Not the way i wanted to start the long weekend..but i am ok.

i have a 2005 Ultra with around 30k on it. i have owned it around 5 years now...never a problem. Yesterday i was in some heavy bumper to bumper traffic (road construction) and noticed the front brake lever getting stiffer. once i got rolling around 40-45 it felt like the bike was losing power. strange as the engine was fine..no mis-fire. i managed to pull over and noticed BOTH the front brake rotors we scorching hot. so both the calipers were dragging.? not much i could do so i checked the brake fluid and it's ok. i called for a tow but it was an hour plus (90*F) and my wife comes out. we wait for a bit and the rotors cool off and the bike will roll. i am about 2 miles from home so i make the mistake of trying to limp it home. i will stay off the front brakes entirely. i get about a half mile down the road and the same scenerio. engine losing power and i have to downshift to keep the engine from dying at 35 mph. i am about 300 feet from a side street when things go from bad to worse. steering gets ugly and i start to smell rubber. it's at this point i realize the the front wheel is completely locked up and... down i go.

Thankfully the wife was behind me and not a cement truck as there is plenty of construction around here. so..plenty of road rash and the bike gets a tow to the dealer.

My question is has anyone ever encountered this? i've been riding over 30 years. it was literally like God himself was putting on the front brakes.
If i'd of been on the highway.. i would be dead.

anyone have any idea what would cause BOTH calipers to lock up together?
thanks....ride safe guys.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:00 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Never been through something like this. Glad you're ok even if the bike isn't.

First thing that came to my mind was front wheel bearings going, generating the heat you saw in the brakes? Not even sure if that's plausible in reality or not...

Old 05-26-2018, 11:02 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I'd go with the master cylinder, actually...although frankly, I've never heard of this happening on a non-ABS bike. Bearings...naw...not so much. I doubt that they would transfer that much heat to the rotors. But I would definitely suspect a stuck piston in the master cylinder.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:43 AM
Navyvette
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 68 Posts

Glad your ok and it wasn’t at high speed but even low speed is scary.
It’s a 13 year old bike with 30k miles. How often has the brake fluid been serviced? Sounds like moisture caused the master to corrode and freeze. I’ve had this happen on an old classic car with the rear brakes where the calipers seized due to corrosion.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:36 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Glad you’re okay...that’s the main thing.

And agree with above, sounds like contamination of the brake fluid. Does the bike sit outside a lot?

Old 05-26-2018, 03:00 PM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, I did have this happen to me... but only when I added the wrong brake fluid to the front brake reservoir . I blead the system and added new brake fluid, drove about 4 miles and noticed the same thing. Came home with bike on the trailer and research showed that I used the wrong DOT fluid. I will never make that mistake again.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:28 PM
LockAndLoad
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Damn, I'm glad you're OK. Hopefully it won't take much to get the bike patched up and back on the road again.

Many years ago, I was headed to work in my Chevy Silverado. The brakes felt kind of "squishy" so I pulled in a local convenience store, grabbed some brake fluid and topped off the reservoir. I start back down the road and noticed the brakes felt firm once again. I go a few more blocks, tap the brake at a stop light and thought...hmm, the brake pedal feels a bit too solid now. I go another couple of blocks and the front tires are locked up.

I check the empty brake fluid bottle that I tossed in the back. Turns out, it was actually Transmission Fluid. The crap was in the same bottle and labeled the same as the brake fluid, just different wording of course. In my haste (and negligence) I wasn't paying enough attention to catch the difference. I ended up putting all new calipers/master cylinder/brake lines, etc on the truck before it was over. Lesson learned...never buy auto maintenance supplies from a convenience store lol.

Again, I'm glad you're OK!

Last edited by LockAndLoad; 05-26-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:37 PM
tinner73
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for replying

the fluid looked fine. I haven’t done anything with it since I’ve owned though.

bike is kept in the garage

Old 05-26-2018, 04:08 PM
Mikerunsjax
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 237 Posts

Sorry to hear that, but glad you're okay. I'm sure it was worse knowing that your wife saw it happen.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:17 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

My guess is the bumper to bumper boiled your brake fluid. So both system where like pressure cookers. Should be DOT 5 but it still could have had moisture. I have a friend who owns an old AMF FX kickstart Harley. His front did this years ago and he went down. The bike did not have a lot of miles on it. It's sat in his garage all these years. Still sitting there.

Quick Reply: wrecked the bike yesterday