Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wax on, oh shit what a mess it made

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 08:46 PM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Wax on, oh **** what a mess it made

I purchased a use Electra Glide earlier this year and made some improvements that were necessary for me. After completion of the backrest and front and rear camera I decided it was time to do a detail wash and wax. That is where the problem begins.
I washed my EG with Meguiars and after that I rolled it into the garage out of the sunlight. It was hot yesterday close to 90 so I worked fast and applied my Pig Snot which I have used in the past. This time I opened a new bottle and applied it with a terry application pad. It hazed up in less than 10 minutes so I grabbed 2 new terry towels and went to work, but could not believe what was happening. A dull haze with swirl marks where I applied the wax... on the fairing, bags and tour pak. No matter how hard I rubbed it would not remove the haze. I have tried several washing on one saddle bag with dawn to remove the wax and I was successful in doing so. But the haze and swirl marks remained. I tried Meguiars brands swirl removal and polishing compound and turtle wax polishing compound. NOTHING works.
I know that my application pad was brand new, terry towels were clean so it can't be that. I used the last of my old bottle of Pig Spit on my Vett and have used it for years. I can't figure out what went wrong.

My question is:

Could the prior owner applied a ceramic coating or something that my wax application is reacting bad to?

Last edited by No Tyme; 08-05-2018 at 08:49 PM. Reason: added info
Old 08-05-2018, 09:00 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I bet its a rattle can paint job.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:05 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

I’d find a local auto detailer and see if they can get rid of the haze. A dual action buffer will correct it as long as its not through the clear. Worst case is a repaint. A coating will not cause a wax to haze and swirl.

My best guess is the PO applied a glaze - it hides swirls and other imperfections but is a temporary fix for a permanent problem.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:18 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,412 Likes on 4,016 Posts

How old was the wax....? I've never seen a wax do that on a gloss surface before.

I guess, with all the new coatings out there, it could be some kind of reaction between dissimilar chemicals, but I couldn't begin to guess what that would be...

Get an orbital polisher and a swirl remover polish (like the mirror glaze in your pic) and an orange pad. Follow it up with a fine polish and a white pad. That should remove it, if it hasn't "etched" into the paint.

Worse case ... if the polish doesn't work... see if a bike painter in your area would be willing to wet sand it for you.

Good luck, report back what works...

Last edited by hattitude; 08-05-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:55 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Wait for eaglefan1 to happen by...

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 12:16 AM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

From the picture, it looks as if the paint is scratched. A reply previous to mine suggested it was a rattle can paint job. Could that be the case?

Old 08-06-2018, 05:28 AM
caulk04
Road Master
Received 222 Likes on 162 Posts

You've got polishing compound there, try that on a small piece and see if it clears up.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:09 AM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,081 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by caulk04
You've got polishing compound there, try that on a small piece and see if it clears up.
He said he already tried both, the Meguiar's and Turtle Wax Polishing Compounds and neither one worked. That's a mess. I'm leaning towards rattle can paint too.........

Old 08-06-2018, 08:10 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

If it is rattle can paint, it's REAL thin, and probably not gonna buff out too good. Now that I have seen the pic on my desktop computer, I think that's a good call. No matter what some folks claim, a rattle can finish is NEVER going to measure up to a traditionally sprayed job...and this is just one of the reasons why...

Old 08-06-2018, 08:43 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I’m going towards the wax or something in the wax. Look at the chrome on the headlight. It has the haze also and that’s not painted.

Quick Reply: Wax on, oh shit what a mess it made