Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Ride Shield's, Road King

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 02:45 PM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by H92064

As someone said previously, the difference from rider to rider is the torso height, NOT the overall height of the rider.

Check the LRS site, and measure your necessary shield height per their measurement instructions, while sitting on your bike, and call them with any further questions.
Yeah, I know and I get it but I was trying to get some baseline based on the same height and inseam. I tried measuring the way LRS shows but it didn't really help. What I eventually did was measure their shield heights on my OEM shield and put a piece of tape in position for the 18" and 16" heights. I then put a mirror in front of my bike and sat on it in the riding position to see where the tape would line up on my face in the mirror. I think it gave me the answer I needed. A weird method I know.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:53 PM
HM_SanDiego
Road Captain

Received 238 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by tcatnat
Yeah, I know and I get it but I was trying to get some baseline based on the same height and inseam. I tried measuring the way LRS shows but it didn't really help. What I eventually did was measure their shield heights on my OEM shield and put a piece of tape in position for the 18" and 16" heights. I then put a mirror in front of my bike and sat on it in the riding position to see where the tape would line up on my face in the mirror. I think it gave me the answer I needed. A weird method I know.
Unfortunately asking about similar people, specifically referring to inseam and overall height, really is the wrong question for you - the critical measurement is the torso height.

Another very low tech method would be to mount the existing shield you have, and measure how much you would take off the top, guessing from your picture that you have a shield now that is taller than you want. This combined with the general idea of having the top of the shield at about your mustache height when sitting on the bike would get you pretty close. This is what I did first, to get an idea what size shield I thought I wanted.

Well you got there, which is really all that matters. Enjoy your new shield.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:48 AM
rkc2006
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 17" recurve LRS on my 06 Road King Classic. I got the "light" tint. I'm 5'9" and looking straight ahead, the top of the recurve is just about at nose level. The recurve even at highway speeds buffets the wind up and over my head pretty well. Very rarely now do I have to adjust my helmet forward onto my forehead. Installation was straight forward and looks great on the bike. One of the best upgrades I've made.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:06 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,525 Likes on 1,421 Posts

BTW - a tip that has served me well with polycarbonate (Lexan) shields has been cleaning with Plexus. I spray it on in the shade when the windshield is not hot to the touch, let it sit a minute or two to soften the bugs and stuff, then off with a clean, quality micro fiber towel. No need to scratch at it if you let it sit just a short while. My windshields are still excellent.
For water repellent action, I use Moto Mask. Most metric dealers carry it. A bike cop told me about it, and said "Don't forget to treat the inside of the windshield, too". I do it from time to time, and the stuff really works. Reminds me of RainX, but is safe for our shields.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:37 PM
tcatnat
Road Master

I usually just soak a towel large enough to cover the windshield with hot tap water, squeeze most of the water out and drape it on the windshield for 5-10 minutes and bugs wipe right off, no cleaning solution needed. I like the Moto-Mask, I'll have to check it out.

Ordered my LRS today, the website says there's a 5-7 day backlog for production. Can't wait to get it.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:28 PM
Kingface
Road Master
Received 178 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by tcatnat
Just FYI for those looking to order. I called LRS because I'm torn between the 16" or 18", I'm 5'9" with 30" inseam. The rep told me the shields are about 1/2" shorter than stated because of the curve so an 18" shield is actually about 17 1/2". I'm still torn since some here who are the same size as I am say the 18" is great while others say the 16" is great. I have my current shield all taped up at the different heights and just need to decide now. I'd like the smallest height without and buffeting.
I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and went with a 16" LRS shield on my Road King. I think that would be the best option for you. If mine was 2" higher the top would start to get into my sight line. That recurve is AWESOME too BTW. It really does send the wind far over my head. I liked it so much I bought one for my Fat Boy too.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:12 PM
Het
Banned
Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Ordered one today for my Road King. On sale, plus another 20% off with the discount code= $107 shipped.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:36 PM
NWTruck
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I ended up getting the 16" light tint Elite for my 2000 RK. I'm 5'6" and a 31" inseam, it is the perfect height. I love looking over the shield, and the wind protection works great. Looks great, too. Highly recommend this, and $99 shipped was great !

The following users liked this post:
Dynamick (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 01:52 PM
tcatnat
Road Master

I'm not sure I was as fortunate. I ordered the 18" Elite Light Tint and I think my buffeting got worse. I was only able to go out for a short ride since the temps have dipped to single digits but I plan on getting out Sunday and early next week as the temps climb back into the 50's. The shield looks great and the quality is great. Fingers crossed I have good results.