Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 ultra running lean after stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Mshearin
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 ultra running lean after stage 2

I upgraded full exhaust with rinehart 45 motopro & changed the blower now my bike is running lean. Any suggestions on how to resolve the problem?

Old 03-03-2019, 08:08 PM
Desert Hog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tuned it?

Old 03-03-2019, 08:10 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Was it dynoed?

Old 03-03-2019, 08:11 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,522 Likes on 6,892 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:01 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Uh ... blower?

Old 03-03-2019, 09:34 PM
Mshearin
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blower = meaning I put a bigger filter. The BIG SUCKER STD FILTER

when I replaced the exhausted & filer and started it, it started idling high & back firing, it’s getting too much fuel.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:28 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,457 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Uhhhh, maybe you mean not enough fuel?

Old 03-03-2019, 11:25 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I'll repeat several previous responses: Did you retune it or have it tuned? If not, then that's your problem.

You can do ONLY the air cleaner and get away with it without tuning, or you can do ONLY the exhaust, but if you do both, you're going to have to tune it. You're now moving way too much air for the stock tune.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:28 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Mshearin
Blower = meaning I put a bigger filter. The BIG SUCKER STD FILTER when I replaced the exhausted & filer and started it, it started idling high & back firing, it’s getting too much fuel.
Not trying to be a SA here but I knew what you meant. I'd recommend doing a ton a research before you run your bike any more … something you should have done before you started doing any modifications without knowing the factors that change how your engine runs. Your engine gets a set a mount of fuel through your fuel injectors which are programmed by your ECM (engine control module). It runs on both a closed and open loop system … meaning those O2 sensors in your exhaust detect the amount of unburned fuel in your exhaust and adjust accordingly within given parameters. Since you installed a complete new exhaust system and high flow air INTAKE (NOT A BLOWER), your drastically increased the air flow through your throttle body, your cylinders and your exhaust. Your ECM is still programmed to deliver the same amount of fuel through your injectors. You have two choices without causing further engine damage, 1) return the bike to stock, or 2) purchase a Vance and Hines FP3 and retune your bike so your injectors get an increased duty cycle. If you did everything else right, i.e. (reconnected your O2 sensors connectly (black to black and gray to gray) otherwise your ECM is readying your rear O2 sensor and thinking it's the front); replaced your exhaust gaskets and don't have a air leak there; replaced your manifold gasket and didn't pinch a vent hose or throttle circuit. Honestly, again … not trying to be an AH, I'd take your bike to the nearest shop and hope a pro work on your $30,000 bike before you ruin in. I see WAY too many bikes where people want to do their own modes and they cause more damage than they ever dreamed.

Last edited by CSMHOG; 03-04-2019 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:53 AM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

I would like to encourage you to continue to work on your bike; however, only after you have purchased a service manual and researched, through this forum and other sources, how to do what you want before you try. Try Youtube, the Revzilla website and the Fuel Motto (FM University)website. As pointed out, is seems that you have not set up a tuner for your bike. The FP3 would be a great choice for you at this point. There are other tuners out there that do more, like the TTS Mastertune and the Power vision. These tuners are more compatible to professional dyno tuning and probably beyond your current need. There was a day when we tuned theses things with a screw driver and a good ear, and maybe a timing light. Those days are gone. With your smart phone and the FP3, your bike will be running in top shape and you will have had some fun in getting it there.

The following users liked this post:
CSMHOG (03-04-2019)

Quick Reply: 2018 ultra running lean after stage 2