Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Noise?? Anyone have any ideas????

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weird Noise?? Anyone have any ideas????

Let me start by saying I am in no way a bike mechanic but I have worked on my own stuff ( bicycles, dirt bikes, cars and now my RG ) all my life. I have a weird noise that sounds like metal to metal whenever I am just cruising at around 2500 rpms in either4th or 5th gearand then lightly crack the throttle.

I have checked the obvious, exhaust leaks, primary chain etc and everything seems fine. I just rode from VA to CA and back in May and as I was getting back into town I heard what sounded like the primary chain slap when getting into the throttle hard. I adjusted it right after that and it quit making the noise so I assumed I took care of that problem.

I recently added Rinehart Eagle Beak slipons while doing them I went over every bolt on the exhaust system front to back top to bottom to make sure all was tight. This noise started recently and I went back and checked everything again and all is tight. the sound is kind of a TING TING just once or twice when bumping the throttle and then it stops. Hell I even took my ride bell off and it wasn't that either.

Can any of you more experienced guys give me any clues as to what this could be?? I could take it to a dealer, but as you all know I would only get the $500 run around. At least if I had an idea of what it could be I would at least be able to explain to the mechanic what I think it is anyway.

Any help would be GREATLY Appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-12-2007, 04:47 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Weird Noise?? Anyone have any ideas????

the sound is kind of a TING TING just once or twice when bumping the throttle and then it stops.
From your description it sounds like a ping. When and where did you fill up last and what octane are you using. I would say to try 93 octane and possibly some dry-gas which will retard the burn some and see if it helps. Could also just be a bad tank of gas too.

The reason you only hear a few pings is that the ECM pulls out some timing when it detects knock or ping.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:58 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a wild stab in the dark but, if you have spokes, check 'em for tightness. If they’re loose, they’ll make noise. Don’t ask me how I know[X(]

Dan

Old 07-12-2007, 05:03 PM
hawg50
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

do you have the chromeinner primary cover?i just worked on a bike that the drive belt was barely touching the thing as you let off the throttle.it sounded like the clutch basket was loose.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:58 PM
xcbiker
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a similar problem on mine and have narrowed it down to my Supertrapp exhaust heat shield. Even though I cranked down the hose clamps, it's making a lot of noise. I verified it was the problem while stopped at a light. If you can recreate the noise while stopped, push your boot onto the heat shield and see if it stops........

Old 07-12-2007, 06:09 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check clearances of all yer pipes/shields at all points. Had a similar problem on mah UC - the front shield was lightly contactin' the front board at a certain rpm/load range. Quick adjustment fixed it....

Old 07-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it is a ping, although I guess it could be possible, but I always use Shell 93 octane or equal quality gas if I'm not near home and always 93 octane. The sound is very tinney sounding, I swear it sounds like an exhaust leak but I have checked that.

I have Andrews gear drive cams and know they can make a little noise but it just started and the cams have been in since April so I can't imagine that could be it. I can just turn up the radio and never hear it, but I'm concerned it could be something internal that could damage the motor over time.

I'll check all the heat shields again but I swear this is getting frustrating!!!!!!!! But thanks for your ideas though guys, keep them coming I may need them.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:12 PM
hadacall
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the rubber mounting bracket on the end of your tail pipes ( muffler ) . I had to change one of mine out today. It sounded like it was coming from the front of the bike when riding.

Ride Safe.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:24 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you know I get the same basic thing out of my right muffler.
Most noticeable when just taking off though.
DEFINITELY NOT ENGINE PING IN MY CASE
As it does it hot or cold and if any pressure at all is applied to
muffler it doesn't do it.
Sampson replaced the muffler once, but now after about four k
it's back again, and visual inspection can't see a crack or anything.