Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped bike/ pant leg caught on shift lever

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:19 PM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: dropped bike/ pant leg caught on shift lever

i have almost dumped it 3 or 4 timeswith the damned pant leg onthe rear heal shifter myself....I will be taking it off as I dont use it...Is there a special kit that I need?

Old 07-23-2007, 02:15 PM
daharleyrdr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Wikidoki
Sorry about your mishap and it sounds as if your pride was hurt more. I gotta tell ya as soon as I read that you went down, I knew right away when you said it was the shift lever that it was the heel portion. Well the same thing Almost!!! and I stress almost happened to me on my 05 Road King the only thing that saved me was when it happened I was able to get my pants cuff off the leave and get my foot down to hold up the bike when I stopped only because it happened while I had on my Chaps in the winter and the snaps opened up from the force of me pulling on the shift lever. So let me tell ya what I did I took off the heel portion of the shifter and put on an HD decorative cover put it in my toolbox and it hasn"t been on since, sorry for your troubles but take than effin thing off do yourself a favor!!!!! By the way the part I was talking about is on page 484 of the 07 Harley Davidson Accessories Big Book part#351475-05 Heel/Toe Shaft Cover $12.95. Ride safe Brothers, Bill.
[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 07-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Blackmouth
Road Master

Glad it was mostly only your pride that was hurt wikidoki.

I got my pant leg caught on theheel shifter several times while it was at stock-height.
I moved the heel shifter down some and haven't caught it once since then.
My heel shifter isn't as low as some have described here, but even a little lower might make the difference for you.

GOOD LUCK.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:28 PM
wikidoki
Intermediate

Well, I gotta tell you that I appreciate the candid responses to my dilemma. I figured that someone else must have done something similar in the past. I am moving the lever down or off tonight. I suspected thatthe fact thatI bought all of my pants at the Chess King in the 70's might cause heavy "flame-age". Actually they were not bell bottoms or even close, just baggy carpenter jeans from JCPenney. When I returned to work today I let a few of my friends with bikes know what happend and two out of four of them told me that they too had a similar incident only with shoe strings. When I rode yesterday I was wearing a different style jean but i caught myself lifting my leg like a dog at a hydrant every time I came up on a stop, just to make sure the leg was not caught. I looked like a kid riding a Razor scooter after a good dose of huffing whipped cream cans, but I did not get my leg caught. Thanks for the imput everybody and think of me when you are selecting your next pair of jeans.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:51 PM
JRL1164
Cruiser

I'm glad you were not hurt. I have also nearly done this several times with my softail. But I like the heel shifter for putting the bike in neutral. I just make sure to wear tighter fitting jeans and pant stays. Also something to keep in mind I've also noticed sometimes my boot lace will wrap around the shifter as well. I try to keep my laces short and tucked into my boot. Best of luck with the repairs.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:31 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

I haven't had the problem of getting my jeans caught but there have been many occasions when I could feel it was about to happen. I think I'm going to try and make a conscious effort to learn to stop with a lean to the right and right foot down. I recollect however not too long ago watching a motor cop who was several feet ahead of me, come to a stop at a signal. He came to rest on the right foot. I thought that was kinda' weird because it just seems natural (for me anyway) to keep my right foot on the brake, however you just need to learn that you pull that foot off the brake and move it toward the ground during the last foot of braking which is finished off with the front brake. Now I'm not saying the cop does this for the same reason because they always have their pants tucked into their boots. But most of them also ride when in civilian dress and maybe they know this is the "right" way to stop. I dunno?

Any motorcops care to chime in?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:44 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wikidoki
kssportster, your question does not seem to be smart *** in nature. I know exactly what happened now. I was downshifting into first as I came to a stop, so I would be ready to take off on the hill when the light changed. I brought my foot back to the board for a split second and it was then i believe that my jean cuff when over the back shift lever. I had no idea that it was caught until I came to a stop and tried to put my foot down. It caught me way off guard when i tried to put my foot down and as the bike leaned to the left continued to struggle against the lever. Thats when the bike tipped over and I went down on my left knee for a split second until my cuff came off the lever. I must say that I felt a wave of stupidity and embarrasment and then realized that i would continue to look stupid as long as my glide lay on the road. It sucks mainly now because its going to cost mooola to fix it. I only have 950 on this bike and just did my own first service. Now Ill seek out a good painter. Live and learn.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:29 PM
chateau
Cruiser

Do yourself a favor and get the foot-board extenders and get rid of the rear shift lever. You will love it , best mod for me. Another thing as you know now is proper apparel. I always tie my lace up redwing boots with a square knot , no loops for me. Sorry to hear about your mishap.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:37 PM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry that had to happen to you but I am glad you shared your story. I will be checking that possibility with my riding jeans tomorrow. As for picking your bike up, I think you are probably right about the embarrassment adrenalin!!