Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Electronic compass ??

Old 07-31-2007, 06:14 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default HD Electronic compass ??

Anyone else aside form buy one to install themselves? I was at dealer on the weekend and they had a 50% off table. I was looking through the stuff and found a box with the elect. compass. Obviously someone bough it or it was ordered by accident and returned or to that effect.

Opened instructions and all looks straight forward until I get to the bit about removing the useless Air Temp. gauge. Im looking at the front of the bike with front fairing removed ( that was the easy part) them Im looking and see two of the speaker brackets are broken and the right font blk faring support brkt. has a crack i it grrrrrr !!! Note to self buy new bits for fairing !
I get to the part where it says to remove the twonuts and remove the AirTemp. gauge , and I'm looking at the bundles of wire and the stuff I have to remove to get access to these two silly nuts. Where upon further reflection what is going to bemore uselss the Air Temp or the Elect. Compass ? Cause I dont have the time nor the patience to deal with this today, but it was a learning experience for me.

Moral of the story is leave the silly shiney chrome bits on the dam discount table.
Rob
But it was fun while it lasted.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:22 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HD Electronic compass ??

Put one on a friends Ultra... Not really a big problem after you get the Ft Fairing Removed.... (But we we're in there changing a bunch of stuff anyway (lol))...
May take ya a couple of hours tops...
Then driving in circles to set-it can always be fun - Find a big parking lot (lol)

Old 07-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you REALLY need an electronic compass on your bike?

Old 07-31-2007, 06:45 PM
tizone
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we don't "need" most of the crap we put on our bikes... GO FOR IT! And don't forget to post pics!

Old 07-31-2007, 06:56 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think they're neat

Old 07-31-2007, 07:00 PM
curmudgeon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next you will get a GPS and the compass will be a moot point

Old 07-31-2007, 07:08 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't trying to burst your bubble, Rob. If it floats your boat, go for it. Just wonder is something like an oil temp gage would be more practical and helpful. I can truly say I've never needed to know my magnetic heading on any road trip, but again, that's just me. Do what's right for you!

Old 07-31-2007, 07:12 PM
sewerat
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I was always the guy that got to go and set the damn things up, calibrate them, you have to ride in a circle for like 1 miniute this way then quickly turn around and go that way, all the time not falling over with the customers bike, damn it getts you dizzy fast.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:48 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Do I really need it ? Nope !
Like Isaid it was the glitter and the 50% off that sold me.
Next time I see 50% off at the dealership Ill keep my blinders on and my hands in my pockets for sure !
learned a couple of things while trying the install the first time , one was the two metal brackets holding speakers in place where broken and the main fairing bracket is cracked as well. So in I do have my winter projects lining up.
No Worries taterdog, yah didnt burst my bubble No offence taken by any of the comments.
Hope all are having a good laugh .....
Im thinking I should be riding someplace where it is warm at the gals are freindly
Cheers All
Rob

Old 08-01-2007, 11:20 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,764 Likes on 1,077 Posts

ORIGINAL: Taterdog

Wasn't trying to burst your bubble, Rob. If it floats your boat, go for it. Just wonder is something like an oil temp gage would be more practical and helpful. I can truly say I've never needed to know my magnetic heading on any road trip, but again, that's just me. Do what's right for you!
And why would you need to know your oil temp?.......another waste of money in my opinion
A compass may be more useful than oil temp guage.[sm=shootshoot.gif]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD Electronic compass ??