Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Bike Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 06:14 PM
dbarnesid
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police Bike Questions

Hi all,

This is my first post and I have a series of questions. Here's the deal. I'm looking at a 1996 police special. It has 66,000 miles on it, but has a fresh engine (only 3,000 miles on the clock). It starts, runs, and rides like a dream. The paint is white and new except on the hard cases where it is a little yellow. Probably because of age and was not painted when the rest of the bike was "de-policed". It has an HD seat, not the original police seat.

Here are my questions:
1) I can get the bike for $8,500 and it seems like a good price to me... your thoughts?
2) What, besides the engine, could be big problems with a 1996 Road King?
3) The bike still has the ugly black platform behind the pillion, where do you get accessories to replace that with a backrest, sissy bar and luggage rack?
4) What about fuel injection in 1996? Was it okay or not? (The bike starts right up. But how about performance and reliability?)

I like to tinker with bikes that's why I like the idea of gettinga project bike. But I don't want to be into this deal for huge money. I just want to have fun riding and prettying up the beast.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated. The price of this bike seems great... but not if she is going to cost as much as a new one just to get her to become reliable and presentable!

Old 08-05-2007, 06:33 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Police Bike Questions

First off.,I could sell you a brand new 07 with the 103 inch motor,oil cooler and ABS brakes with full warranty for$17,200.00 that already has been civilianized with the new seat and all. It is black and the local sheriff we ordered it for cant take it. Second,the price of 8900.00 bucks is high for a 12 year old bike. Very high. The fuel injections of that year were not as good as the Delphi systems in use today. Y ou can get any accessories you need at your local H.D. Dealership. Paint,seat and other things may end up costing you a few thousand. Hope this helps. I think it is a bad deal for such an old dog. Lots of other things can go wrong on a 12 year old bike that by its nature was ridden hard. Just my HO.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:37 PM
dbarnesid
Advanced

Much appreciated. That's just the feedback I'm looking for. It's not a good deal if I end up dumping $15K into an old hog when a new and better one is only a couple of grand more. That's a good looking ride, Mack. Where do you live?

Old 08-05-2007, 07:46 PM
FLHRCI_King
Advanced

Check out these beautiful Police Bikes!

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2005660/tm.htm

I must have one!

Old 08-05-2007, 09:23 PM
dbarnesid
Advanced

Wow! Those are sweet pictures. I'll bet the officers never would guess that their old rides could ever look anything like that.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:46 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was fixin' to get my fix on an '07 Road King Classic it looked like since I don't much exist I wasn't gonna get a loan on the second half. I looked at a couple of '06 cop bikes, 4k and 6k on the clocks, asking $15k firm. They had two-up seats and rear pegs on them, plus some of the other civilianization. I threw my leg over one and at 6'-2" had to look straight through the windscreen. No way to see over the top. And the handlebars were some inches higher than I liked. Maybe if they'd had the cop seats still on 'em those two aspects would have been more right for me, but no way, no how as they were configured.

Plus, those pucks on the bags and the right bag only being about half internal volume and it would have to have been several thousand less for me to seriously consider the proposition.

I figured for a few grand more I would be better off getting exactly what I wanted: a bone stock RKC. Made necessary arrangements and have been happier than a pig in you-know-what. Put a few more bux into some mufflers I can hear and other run-right stuff and have no intentions of doing anything else with it but ride.