Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cop Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Jeepin79
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cop Bikes

Can I please get some feedback on the police bikes. I know they have the 103 and ABS but I am curious for some more pros/cons. I am looking at one today or tomorrow for my wife and dont know a lot about them. She currently has a Super Glide and wants something bigger with stock bags. They seem like a good deal for the money. Also, are there deals to be had on them, my local dealer lists them for 13999. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:55 PM
motorsgt8
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What dealership are these at? I would ask them to tell you what department leased the bike, then contact them and find out if their officers did any of the police training on it. The training can be very hard on them if the officers are not very caring about the bikes.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Jeepin79
Road Master

Do these bikes come with full 2 year warranty?

Old 06-02-2011, 03:00 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

its true than can go through hell.

all in all they are generally maintained well and have a good price tag.

Cons, might have been beat up, don't have all the same bells and whistles like a consumer bike.

as long as you can live with the price tag then I say its a good idea.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Jeepin79
Road Master

Originally Posted by motorsgt8
What dealership are these at? I would ask them to tell you what department leased the bike, then contact them and find out if their officers did any of the police training on it. The training can be very hard on them if the officers are not very caring about the bikes.
Wild Fire on North Ave has some of them.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Lyfer
Tourer

If I was too go that route I think I'd ask for the service records.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Like buying anything used, it depends on how the previous owner/user treated it.

On the plus side, they are a blank canvas. On the minus side it costs a fortune to make it what you want.

As for price, I find the dealers are trying to screw over people on the price. They should be heavily discounted compared to a FLHT or Electraglide Standard.

Find out what department they came from, and then start asking around about that agency and how they treated the bikes. I know some agencies that never use the bikes and they are babied, I know other departments where the bikes are beaten like red headed step children.

Make sure there is a 2 up seat AND new tires on the bike. Run Flat tires that are standard equipment on P spec bikes are NOT rated for 2 up riding, there is actually a sticker on the bike that tells you that.

Figure you are going to have to get a radio, speakers, and a Hog Tunes or Hawg Wired install kit.

Price out a tour pack and back rest and make sure you have someone that knows CPR close by.

Ya the cop bags open differently, that can screw things up with a tour pack added..... price out used bags or new tops, hinges, inserts and locks.....

then you'll be wanting an oil pressure gauge and a oil temp gauge, again there is a good 150 bucks spent.

Paint.... you are going to want to paint it, again big big bucks.

You can buy a real nice civilian bike for less money IMHO and without having the worry that is was beat to death.

to get a P spec bike into "nice" condition, figure about 4 grand plus the cost of the bike.... lots of used bikes for that kind of $$$

Last edited by Neggy ZRXOA 5248; 06-02-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:48 PM
CoastlineAmps
Cruiser

I just bought a Police Bike and did my homework....First see if the warranty is still existing. They are normally one year and very rarely are two year warranties on police bikes. Then, check service records at the dealership they were serviced. Very easy and the mechanics can tell you more about the bike. Look over the bike very carefully for any signs of being dropped or worn out floorboards. A lot of worn on the floorboards could indicate either a trainer or highway patrol bike. If the floorboards are worn out evenly on both sides of bike, then this was more likely a trainer due to the courses they ride using both sides of bike. I seen the bike on the website and it looks pretty fresh from the police department. Low mileage is great. That also would indicate a trainer. You might have a great deal there but I would ask 13K............Let us know if you take it or not...

Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 PM
gaber6
Cruiser

I got my 2008 for 12k with 20k miles.
All I had to do was rewire the passing lamps. Cruise isn't installed, but it is Throttle By Wire.
It's Miami Florida Navy Blue and I like the color. I have yet to see one the same color here in AZ.

Only issue I have is a clanky clutchpack if I try to feather the clutch and drive 1-2mph.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The switches and wiring is different on a police bike.

I believe the air ride seat is the most comfortable seat that harley ever put on a motorcycle, but most people take them off. Any motorman worth his salt will have the floorboards ground down, it does not mean the bike was abused.

Problem spots that I would look at to find out if the bike was dropped/abused is the lower corners of the engine/bag guards. Ends of the hand levers and scratches on the edge of the fairing and saddlebags.

Quick Reply: Cop Bikes