Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Docking Issue/Question VS Hogworkz TP Mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 06:27 AM
JINKSTER
Road Master
Received 872 Likes on 433 Posts
Question Docking Issue/Question VS Hogworkz TP Mount

So I purchased my 2020 Preowned SGS which already had a Docking station setup mounted but nothing attached. FF to a few months later and I purchase the Hogworkz King Tour Pack (which I'm very pleased with so far) along with the Hogworkz two-up Pack-Mount and here's what I encountered trying to pair the Hogworkz mount to the pre-existing docking hardware...

Firstly the .650" diameter black delrin spools on the front of the docking hardware were outboard of what appears to be .750" diameter chrome spools/spacers while the .650" diameter black delrin spools on the rear were mounted inboard with no chrome spool/spacers so the front and rear black plastic spools were offset by the distance of that .750 chrome spool/spacer up front while the Hogworkz mounting plate was an inline affair where the front C notches only measured .700" (to small by .050" to fit on the .750 chrome spool/spacers) but the rear locking clips did fit the .650" rear spools just swell so what I did to get by the pinch I was in was I pulled the front .750 chrome/.650 Black delrin spools and reversed them getting the front black delrin spools inline with the rear and now managed to get the pack mounted but leaving me with a bit of slop up front with C's that are a bit larger than the black spools they are mounted to and that slop translates to an excessively bouncing tour pack at idle.

I don't know what gives here and am left wondering if I'm just naive enough to have thought Hogworkz and whatever other brand (probably HD) docking hardware and/or all QD merchandise are not fit interchangeable between HW and HD? (but that doesn't seem logical)

I know the immediate fix would be to just wrap tape around the front spools to build them up to fit but before I do that I'll simply throw some stainless rod in the lathe and turn a couple to size but I'm just curious, what's the deal here?

Do these companies make different size docking station spools to thwart off the interchangeability of each others products and I should've bought the HW docking station hardware to match the HW mounting plate?

Is there a source where folks buy different size mounting spools to get past this? or?

Am I simply doing something wrong?

Old 11-26-2023, 07:01 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,965 Likes on 2,181 Posts

The spools, or docking points, on my tourpak mounting rack are oblong and can be rotated up to 90° in order to provide a secure fit.

The following 2 users liked this post by GalvTexGuy:
Burbur2 (11-28-2023), JINKSTER (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 07:12 AM
JINKSTER
Road Master

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
The spools, or docking points, on my tourpak mounting rack are oblong and can be rotated up to 90° in order to provide a secure fit.

Thanks and I effectively used that oblong spool system when mounting my HD Tour pack to my '22 Heritage (since traded in) but what I had to do here using the HW mounting bracket was swap positions of Part #3 with Part #4 in your diagram above and the amount of slop is well beyond that of any oblong spool feature (which I have not found in this docking station) but I appreciate any and all input, ideas and/or suggestions. Thanks again.

Old 11-26-2023, 07:21 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,965 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Does your rack have these?

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 11-26-2023 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:38 AM
JINKSTER
Road Master

Does your rack have these?
Yes but they are hard plastic and only measure .700" wide while Part #3 measures .750" diameter.

Old 11-26-2023, 07:54 AM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 957 Posts

The front ears do not go on the black mount, they go on the chrome portion inside the black. The rear ears go on the black.

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 08:23 AM
JINKSTER
Road Master

Originally Posted by chopper_man
The front ears do not go on the black mount, they go on the chrome portion inside the black. The rear ears go on the black.
I get that that is the accepted and proper way and I've watched several videos just like it and marvel at how easy what they demo is but their reality is not matching the fitment issue I have going on here where the front C depicted below...

Is only .700" wide while the chrome spool of the preexisting docking hardware on my bike is .750" in diameter and to add? When I first pulled the HW mounting plate out of the box I attempted to mount it what is the very way these vids are showing and I even tried a few bumps with a soft face mallet and that's when I stopped and started measuring things up and no bueno. And that's when I switched stuff around to make it work because I had a trip planned.

Old 11-26-2023, 08:55 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,515 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issue. A buddy had the same issue awhile back on the HW stuff. We had planned a country trip and he wanted a TP, so he got the HW. As a temp fix, he took out that plastic piece from the rack and wound an electrical tape around that chrome spacer on the docking mount 'til the rack fit snug. He returned the HW stuff after the trip and got the H-D and all is good.

All that stuff is one size to fit all the accessories that go on the mount, or it's suppose to. I know some people on here have the H-D mount and buy aftermarket stuff. Some fit good some don't.

Last edited by RKZen; 11-26-2023 at 08:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JINKSTER (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 09:09 AM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 957 Posts

Here is the front ear on mine. I suspect your docking hardware is not setup properly or since it was already on the bike when you bought it, the PO used a cheap ebay setup.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:12 AM
JINKSTER
Road Master

Originally Posted by RKZen
Sorry to hear about your issue. A buddy had the same issue awhile back on the HW stuff. We had planned a country trip and he wanted a TP, so he got the HW. As a temp fix, he took out that plastic piece from the rack and wound an electrical tape around that chrome spacer on the docking mount 'til the rack fit snug. He returned the HW stuff after the trip and got the H-D and all is good.

All that stuff is one size to fit all the accessories that go on the mount, or it's suppose to. I know some people on here have the H-D mount and buy aftermarket stuff. Some fit good some don't.
Thanks for the witnessed verification which lets me know exactly what path I'll take which will be to return the docking hardware to its original configuration but with a spool custom turned to fit the HW's front "C"

Quick Reply: Docking Issue/Question VS Hogworkz TP Mount