Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Tuner on stage 1 nessasary ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 08:34 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,122 Likes on 1,924 Posts

I recently did a stage 1 on the Limited, Fuel Moto sent me a tune that worked good, no decel popping. Am thinking of doing a little bit of auto tune with the PV this year to fine tune it a bit more.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:40 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,474 Posts

Originally Posted by dmonger
I just realized how horrible my spelling was in my last post. Holy ****. But to answer the question. Ive always been against it becauze from what I've seen over the years, people will just buy an AC and slip-ons and call it a "stage 1". At best its a negligible difference in airflow and still well within what the ECM can accommodate which would make the cost of a proper dyno tune or even just a DJ license a waste of money IMO. Now changing the head pipes adds another element and it might be anecdotal but if you're changing the entire exhaust system and AC then you should consider a proper tune.
To me, stage 1, the harley tax as some called it, was pipes, air cleaner, and jetting carb because it came to lean from the factory.

Tuner, or just flashing the ECM, IMO is what you should do if increasing air out, and air in. Not saying I would dyno. Why increase air in if not increasing fuel?

People have debated forever if you need to jet for just pipes. But now you have added more air in and out. Myself I would take the air cleaner off, if not tuning. As for ECM handling it, some have said once they went to close loop it didn't matter. That gets hottly debated too at time. I don't know enough to say. But they do come lean from factory.

The following users liked this post:
swifty (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 10:07 PM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior
Received 1,474 Likes on 629 Posts

One of the things mentioned in the video but not in here, in the tuner is the option of changing the TBW response, the go grip is dumbed down from the factory and is basically another nanny control.
Having instant response is such a huge improvement you feel it seat of the pants where it counts,

They do this in the car world also, I installed a throttle controller on my SS Camaro and the perception from doing just that mod, seemed like way more performance than changing to a Ported TB.

The car version is a plug and play pigtail, with small input pad, no room for all that on a motorcycle and it’s something that should just be able to be turned off, but they get you to pay either way.

Old 03-22-2024, 11:04 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,534 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
To me, stage 1, the harley tax as some called it, was pipes, air cleaner, and jetting carb because it came to lean from the factory.
I concur, and a stage 1 for a fuel injected bike is pipes, more air through a better air filter and a tune or map. Otherwise, it’s just a louder exhaust and a fancy looking air cleaner cover. Be the same as not rejecting a carbed bike. All show, no go.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:00 AM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts

If you put a Ford Performance intake on a new Mustang, it's mandatory to install a supplied tune to maintain warranty. That engine has a far more advanced engine management system with wide band sensors and a MAF. If that system can't keep up with the additional airflow, I don't know how any of us expect the archaic system on a 2007 to adapt. JHMO

Old 03-23-2024, 07:35 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

The harley tax was all about these engines coming neutered by EPA from the factory, you would rejet, which is now retune. 2007, which was first year of 96" and many new requiremetns from EPA, may possibly be start of even more lean bikes. My 2007 runs hotter.

I think with bigger engines, for some there is less retuning to get the power they want. And I am happy about that.

Old 03-25-2024, 10:42 AM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Real world 17 years of experience on a 2007 RK with a 96. I've owned it since new. Got a PV Tuner from Fuel Moto with a stock improved tune. Made an amazing amount of difference. Bike ran cooler and no more detonation. Next was S&S 551 Easy Start Cams and a set of slip ons. I kept the stock pushrods. More work but I'm cheap. Bike has never been on a dyno and I don't feel the need for one. Obtained a new tune from Fuel Moto. Even better but still kind of doggy out of the hole. 07 and 08 Touring bikes are the only years with the 66 tooth rear pulley which causes this. Installed a Japanese Sportster 68 tooth rear pulley and finally it was perfect. The gearing is now the same as all other big twins. They are hard to find but IMHO worth it. I've ridden the bike from Yellowknife to Cabo San Lucas and pretty much everywhere in between. I honestly trust it more than my 20 RG. A lot of people frown on the 07 and 08s because they are kind of orphan bikes and have the narrower rear tire and smaller fuel tank. Mine has been an absolute gem and problem free except for cracking the y pipe on the rear head. If it happens again I will go to a Two into 1 exhaust. Good Luck with yours..

Old 03-25-2024, 05:55 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

My 2007 just got a new crank, in the past got volt reg, sprocket shaft seal, priamry was filling with oil, , belt at 55k. . Stalling, radio turning on by itself, tourpak lock upside down, TPS cable shorting, bunper missing on the kickstand. But other than stator plug never leaked