Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cedar Key Florida

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 AM
rambo11
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cedar Key Florida

Wife and I taking a road trip this weekend to Cedar Key Florida. Weather supposed to be perfect. Her first trip on the new softail.
About 130 miles from Jacksonville.
Anybody ever been there?
Thanks
Jim

Old 03-26-2008, 09:51 AM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cedar Key Florida

used to own a condo there, sold it in Nov. 05,
the ride there will be nice, the road from US 19 to Cedar Key is two lane so be alert.
Good places to eat, really good fishing, several interesting shops for you both. Cedar Key Cycles shop (if it's still there) is a good place to grab a cold one, limited bike stuff but fun to poke around. Cedar Key market is great if you are staying where you will be cooking and need food, real good meat section. Area is known for clam farming so you can get fresh.
Drive out past the airport - nice homes on a couple acres on the gulf, explore out past the museum you'll see some high land (for FL. anyway, 60' above the water) with georgeous views.
When you get to the first bridge (#4, I think) there are speed limit signs and they drop from 45 to 30 real fast, DO NOT SPEED you will get nailed for sure. The local cops are rabid about that. And watch out for golf carts on the streets, kids and fogies don't always look where they're going.
You'll have a good time for sure.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:59 AM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a buddy that lives in Crystal River, a bit south of there. Rode there a couple times for lunch, great food nice little town, you'll enjoy it

Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 AM
FD2
Cruiser

We are Brits and rode a hired RK there a couple of years back. Wonderful place, great food, atmosphere, a barmaid that was new, didn't know how much to pour when I asked for a Jack Daniels so almost filled the glass and said "that looks about right". We plan to go back some day.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:44 AM
extech
Road Master

Another one of the "not so spoiled" parts of Florida, some great nature and better fishing!
Say hello to Travis MaGee

Old 03-26-2008, 10:49 AM
albertasaurus
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I was cruising the Members Meeting Members threads and found a group heading to Cedar Key this weekend. Here's the thread: https://www.hdforums.com/m_3084484/tm.htm

Sure wish I could join you, but it's a long haul from Alberta.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 AM
pokeraddict
Cruiser

Been there several times. As a previous poster said, it is "not too spoiled". Sorta like a quaint seaside village. Lots of great seafood restaurants.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:35 PM
connsmith
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Visited with my mom and dad and it was very nice, but that area from New Port Richey and up is great. My Dad lives in Tarpon Springs and it is really getting built up.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:01 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

Our group rides up there once a year. Great little place but the ride is boring. Flat and straight.

Try the fried clams at the Frogs Landing. I think they farm them at Cedar key and they are nothing like the clams you geteverywhere else. I don't even like clams but those make my mouth water just thinking about it.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, it was a favorite lunch ride when I lived in Jax. Good early start, breakfast in Stark, get to Cedar Key for lunch & a couple hours shoppin', then putt back & catch dinner on the way. Great little fishin' village, seafood on the waterfront with the tourist shops. A few more tourist shops on the main drag.......about a block away. If you have some time there's a musem & park. I still have pictures of a bald eagle with it's catch from one trip there.............. If I wern't busy I'd meet you there for the seafood!

Quick Reply: Cedar Key Florida