Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power source for ipod or phone

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 10:28 AM
sdroadglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power source for ipod or phone

i want to be able to charge my ipod or phone when i am on the road. i have a road glide and the manual says not to use the cig lighter as a power source, as this with ruin it. what is everybody useing to power their stuff, and if you are putting another outlet in where did you put it? i really dont see how a cell phone charger could ruin a cig lighter outlet[8D]

Old 04-25-2008, 10:44 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: power source for ipod or phone

I don't have an answer, but figured I would wire a plug for my accessory outlet to charge my phone. Don't know why this wouldn't work. I could also use the plug for my battery tender, but there is a fuse issue there if something went wrong, so I figure the accessory plug is the way to go. I don't have a lighter socket on my Road King, but sure don't know why it wouldn't work. On my shovelhead, I wired a cigarette lighter receptacle to a plug with a 15 amp in line fuse. When the phone needed a charge, I plugged it in, dropped the phone in the saddlebag and went for my ride. When I stopped later, phone is charged, unplug the charger and throw it in the bag.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:09 PM
wallstreetglide
Intermediate

I have been using the cig lighter on my SG no problems.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:29 PM
61panhead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What gets my goat is that the iPod doesn't charge through the connection to Harmon-Kardon radio unit!
I have to charge it by syncing to computer periodically, then returning it to the bike.
The technology of the factory radio needs to catch up.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Gart
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running a cell phone charger through the cig lighter shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't have that much draw to it. The MOCO discourages using the cig lighter as a power supply or else you would have people plugging in electric vest, socks, gloves, etc to it and then it would have so much draw on it things would melt (not really, fuse would blow).

Why do you need to charge a cell phone when riding anyhow. If you're worried about the charge, shut it off until you stop. Any important message would be there. If you're talking about taking it on a trip you can use a/c charger in a motel or if you're camping shut it off because you are supposed to enjoy being away.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Stryke1
Cruiser

I have an '05RG and use the cig lighter outlet as the power source for my i-pod without any problem. I use the Aux input on the radio to play the tunes.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 627 Likes on 389 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stryke1

I have an '05RG and use the cig lighter outlet as the power source for my i-pod without any problem. I use the Aux input on the radio to play the tunes.
I do the same thing on my '05 Ultra Classic. Works fine.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:21 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Gart,
I wired mine to charge my phone for a tripthrough the Yukon. Still had service there, just no way to charge. Camping was primitive, I mean primitive, nothing but wherever you stopped. Sure, could have gotten power at a fuel stop or grocery, but would have had to sit and wait. So, when it dies, plug it in and next fuel stop it's good for a couple days.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:24 PM
ssihogdog
Road Captain

I use the cigarette lighter on my UC for various devices, no issues. Guess I missed that page in the manual....