Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103' Stage II Big Bore Kit- Need Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:59 AM
YAREMASI
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 103' Stage II Big Bore Kit- Need Heads?

I got the stage II kit for my 07 Street Glide and was wandering if I should get the 103 heads? Are they worth it,how much extra hp/tq will they produce? Also is there anything else that I will need for this kit?

I would like to stick with H-D parts and am not trying to make a racing machine.... Thanks for everyones help.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 103' Stage II Big Bore Kit- Need Heads?

Why not mill the heads, to get better airflow?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:09 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have your "Harley Heads" professionally ported and the results will be much better.Wouldn't if be nice to have something better w/o the gawdyadvertisementcast into the side of the head?

I would not spend the $$ on the S/E heads. You would actually be better served by getting the quench set properly on what you have, as the 07's & 08"s have the pistons lower than the cylinder deck to start with. You could do that in one of two ways....

1) Pistons that are designed to "fix" the problem. HQ had some made specifically to address the issue
2) Custom head gaskets ~ something like .019 or .020... HQhad some of them madethem too.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:26 AM
YAREMASI
Advanced

With the Stage II, do I need a SERT?

Would really like to stay with H-D parts, anyone help on 103 heads?

Thanks

Old 05-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Why stay with HD heads?

If you do the SE Stage II from the catalog, the dealer can do a download.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:21 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto!

ORIGINAL: PhilM

Have your "Harley Heads" professionally ported and the results will be much better.Wouldn't if be nice to have something better w/o the gawdyadvertisementcast into the side of the head?

I would not spend the $$ on the S/E heads. You would actually be better served by getting the quench set properly on what you have, as the 07's & 08"s have the pistons lower than the cylinder deck to start with. You could do that in one of two ways....

1) Pistons that are designed to "fix" the problem. HQ had some made specifically to address the issue
2) Custom head gaskets ~ something like .019 or .020... HQhad some of them madethem too.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Strokah
6th Gear

Heads are one of several puzzle pieces you need to have professionally done in order to back out of the weak performance you suffer under OEM; even with the 103" kit. I have the 110" kit, and although a little less bang for the buck than your 103" kit,I've groomed itnevertheless - heads, cams and exhaust are the minimum. And of course you need a tuner and you can take your pick there. I had my heads Stage II ported at http://www.nrhsperformance.com/where the price is reasonabee and they do what they say on time. Your choice, there are dozens of places that cut bait in this dept. Try to pick your cams first, and for the bagger, judging what you indicate above you want torque early and not a 140 mph bike like some folks. I picked the Red Shift 577 (twin cam) and they perform well with torque rolling on early in the RPM range - Gas it and go! Having had a couple other Harleys that were bar to bar (monstor motors, air shift, nitrous etc) i really like my SG setup.
I've only been a member here for a few days, but ironically (coincidental perhaps) enough I've read a lot of comments from PhilM above, and this guy knows his stuff - so in the end you choose. Go for it. You won't be sorry. Rubber side down dude.