Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

open loop vs closed loop

Old 06-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Bagginit
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default open loop vs closed loop

Does anyone know at which point the 07-08 ECM goes from closed loop to open loop air/fuel control?&nbsp\\; I.E. at what throttle position and RPM?
&nbsp\\;
Also, I am currently running a PCIII with the o2 eliminators, but ended up plugging the 02 sensors back in for better fuel economy.&nbsp\\; I am using FuelMoto's map.&nbsp\\; I found that with the 02 sensors plugged back in, I do get noticeably reduced fuel consumption&nbsp\\;(no surprise) but more importantly, idle quality is much better, as well as engine smoothness when cruising at 55 mph.
&nbsp\\;
Last, what exactly does the parade map and stage 1 map do?&nbsp\\; I wouldnt mind running slightly richer (14.2:1 vs 14.7:1) but not 13:1 in open loop mode at all RPM and throttle positions.&nbsp\\; I thought the stage 1 map simply readjusts the a/f&nbsp\\; based on increased airflow once the ECM goes into open loop mode, but wasnt sure.&nbsp\\; Parade map sounds additional idle enrichment.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Thanks to all the experts
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-22-2008, 07:54 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: open loop vs closed loop

I was told by Jamie at Fuelmoto that it is just right off throttle. Thats it. Something like 1500rpm

Old 06-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Bagginit
Advanced

If Jamie's words are true, then why add the 02 eliminators if the ECM goes to open loop at 1500 RPM?&nbsp\\; Seems pointless&nbsp\\; unless 1500 RPM is&nbsp\\;associated with&nbsp\\;a certain throttle position value of, say 50%. and the 02 eliminators basically just allow the throttle value to be lower than OEM value by forcing the ECM into open loop all the time.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:06 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bagginit

Also, I am currently running a PCIII with the o2 eliminators, but ended up plugging the 02 sensors back in for better fuel economy.
Your subsequent claims notwithstanding (and I firmly believe you should critically re-evaluate them), combining the PC-III with closed-loop operation is an extremely bad idea unless you are either using a PC-IIIex which has the closed-loop areas locked out or you have purposely directed the PC-III to totally leave those areas entirely alone. If you are altering the fueling in closed-loop areas of operation, the stock ECU will totally undo your fueling changes (if it can - if not, you will know because you will get engine codes). That is not so bad in and of itself, but the changes it has to make to get things right again in the closed-loop areas will be dutifully transferred to open-loop areas of operation as well which could very well mean you will (can) be dangerously lean at large throttle settings.

I have tested operating with the combination of PC-III and closed-loop functionality and the nicest thing I can say is it is a very bad idea.

... what exactly does the parade map and stage 1 map do?
The parade map is, as I recall, a method of cooling the engine at idle by variously dropping spark (and fuel?) to the cylinders, so they will occasionally be merely pumping air.

The stage maps are mainly alterations to the programmed VE/spark-timing tables to match specific engine components.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:24 AM
elevenbravo
Intermediate

If you got the gear from Jaime, and you are not happy with it just give him a call. I am sure he has a map that will get you back where you want to be. As others have said by plugging in the 02’s you are in uncharted water and it is anybody’s guess what you will get. -eleven

Old 06-23-2008, 12:43 AM
poppa cooter
Tourer

most fuel injection systems will decide open loop or closed loop by temerature and throttle twist, i belive stock changes as soon as you come off idle it goes into closed loop, when the engine is cold it will be in open loop and run richer until the temp goes up also it will kick back to open loop when the engine starts getting hot to cool it down. look at this site it can explain it better than i can. http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...erformance.htm

Old 06-23-2008, 11:56 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bagginit:

Furthermore, you will have to reset your AFV. I discussed this in https://www.hdforums.com/m_3533404/m...tm.htm#3534825

In that post, when I said something like it was so fat on top it would hardly run, I mean specifically it would not pull past 90 mph. It ran pretty good where I usually operate, however, but the mileage was much poorer than I had anticipated. I can now take it nicely to 100 any time I want (have not cared how much further it would go beyond that). For most of my riding I average right around 38 mpg. If I am on the highway for an entire tank it will be in the lower-mid to mid 40s range. And that is usually taking the highways which go through all the small towns. I have never run a complete tank on the freeway where I am sure it would be better yet. I much prefer the relative serenity of the back(er) roads.

If you want a better idea of just where/when the engine might be operating closed-loop, grab some SERT documentation and look at the AFR mappings. Anywhere you see the tables populated with 14.6 are the closed-loop-able (other factors permitting) areas.