Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
CFR Pipes (good bad)?
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...-good-bad.html

Issue:
Is in the market for an 09 Ultra Classic and dealer is pushing a set of CFR with a phase 1 upgrade.

People give their thoughts on CFR’s, what price points are good, and whether to purchase with the bike or wait until he gets a better understanding.

Read below for full discussion…
Print Wikipost

CFR Pipes (good bad)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Master Gunny
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CFR Pipes (good bad)?

New form member: Turned 65 in August and bought an '06 EGlide standard... in the process of buy an '09 Ultra Classic (the red head likes comfort). The dealer is pushing a set of CFR's with the phase 1 upgrade... I think the CFR's are the Screaming Eagle pipes.... they sound GREAT in the show room. Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.

Semper Fi
Master Gunny (Retired) USMC
Goodyear, AZ

Old 10-22-2008, 11:34 AM
NitroShark
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum! The CFR slipons are not Screaming Eagles. They are made by Cary Faas Racing (CFR). I have them on my Road King and they are my favorite slipons that I've ever had. A very deap rumble. Can be quiet when you need them to be and can get very loud when you want. I get compliments on my bikes sound all the time and couldn't be happier with them. If you go with them, make sure you get the rest of the Stage I setup (AC and fuel mgmt) too.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:52 AM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all- Welcome to the forum, SEMPER FI, GOD BLESS THE MARINE CORPS and all our MARINES!
Master Guns, I can tell you from experience, you would be better off to wait on buying pipes unless you are sure of what you want. There are a lot of different exhaust set-ups and you may find something out there you like better...as in better sound, certain volume, etc. I thought I wanted the Screaming Eagles when I bought my RKC so that's what I had the dealer put on before I picked it up but I figured out very quickly they didn't sound like what I really wanted. I ended up with V&H Dresser Duals and Rush slip-ons with a PCIII fuel management system. These are fairly expensive mods and I would encourage you to do some research before making the commitment on pipes the dealer is pushing. Hang around the dealership or visit some bike nights looking for a bike like yours that has a sound you like. Talk to the owner and see what he has- he'll be more than happy to tell you all about it. It took me a few months to find the current set-up I have but it was worth the time and effort because I got exactly what I wanted. Trust me, you won't regret taking your time. Good luck with it.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:09 PM
llmotorcycles
Cruiser

i had CFR slip ons on my 06 sg and they are a really nice muffler with at deep tone. manufacture quality is very good. I diddnt care for the loud volume

Old 10-22-2008, 12:24 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the Forum, and congrats on the scoot. The CFR's that I've heard are deep throaty, and pretty loud. Depends on your taste. Some guys love em. I just don't like to ride directly behind em. FWIW

Old 10-22-2008, 12:30 PM
speedglide
Tourer

I have the CFRs also. I fuggin LOVE them!!! They are by far the deepest set of mufflers I have heard. My riding buddies all love them! I did do one thing, and that was install some Krome Werks HP Plus II baffles in them. I'm running true duals, so they are naturally louder than the OEM head pipes. The two into one design cancels out some sound waves. Anyway, with the baffles I'm in heaven. I can creep around if I need to and rip it if I'm in the mood. I didn't mind the volume as they were from the CFR, but I like to ride to work every day early. I just wanted to tone them down a bit to keep peace with the neighbors and avoid waking my kiddies up...
Jason

Old 10-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Master Gunny
Advanced

Thanks to all for the input. I'm going with the CFR's and as long as they don't set off car alarms I should be OK! Ride safe.... MG

Old 10-23-2008, 01:14 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ....

I have CFRs on my RK with a HQ 95" build. Their quality is top notch.
I did the baffles as did Speedglide, including wrapping them. Thanks J.
If you keep your headpipes stock and don't do any serious motor mods they can't be beat. NOTHING out there that sounds better, but on my build they are way TOO loud. I wear, and have worn earplugs riding forever, and around town they annoy me even with them. On the highway at speed they are OK, but no one appreciates having to ride behind me.
107 db at idle, and 117 at part throttle, and on the gas hard they are outrageous. I set alarms off constantly....just off idle.
I would concur with Speedglide and do the baffles if you get 'em. They make a huge diff with regard to low end torque.

Mine are coming off. I just may wrap them a second time, but they are still coming off, and soon. The good thing is that I have people lined up to buy them. Now I'll just have to see how serious they all are. Talk is cheap.
If I could figure out how to quiet them down, well you could only have them once you pried them from my cold hands.

CN

Originally Posted by Master Gunny
Thanks to all for the input. I'm going with the CFR's and as long as they don't set off car alarms I should be OK! Ride safe.... MG

Old 10-23-2008, 05:44 PM
speedglide
Tourer

On a stock bike with OEM headpipes, I think you are gonna love 'em Gunny!!
Jason

Old 10-23-2008, 09:41 PM
6Clicks
Cruiser

After a setup of Bassini true dual reverse megaphones on my '07 UC I learned that the bike never ran as good as it did before I added the dual pipes ( started off with the Bassin's slipped on stock pipes). I also had the Stage 1 a/c and Power Commander $etup. I traded up for an '09 Street Glide and this one is getting Rush mufflers and no mods to the a/c or fuel setup. I know a few guys that have had that setup dealer installed and the bikes run and sound great. Unless you need to spend the nearly $2k like I did for the old setup I had for about 2 hp, don't waste your money. JMHO is all.

Quick Reply: CFR Pipes (good bad)?