Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
CFR Pipes (good bad)?
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...-good-bad.html

Issue:
Is in the market for an 09 Ultra Classic and dealer is pushing a set of CFR with a phase 1 upgrade.

People give their thoughts on CFR’s, what price points are good, and whether to purchase with the bike or wait until he gets a better understanding.

Read below for full discussion…
Print Wikipost

CFR Pipes (good bad)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

http://www.bikersimage.com/CFR.htm

Not black though. Maybe send off a pair to Jet Hot or call to see if they would do a custom order. Not sure if they are going to stop making the Touring slip-ons. I just sent back a slip-on to get the tip replaced.

I can tell you this...the little bit I've been on my putting around with my set-up (Power Duals/CFR) I can tell you I found the happy medium between deep deep tone and loud exhaust. Very happy in that regard. Just need to see how these tune with the rest of my set-up.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:29 PM
1hagop
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Vance and Hines true duals and CFR slip-ons, everyone that hears my set up is sold. I have sold 3 sets in the last 2 months just by people hearing them and pulling me over and talking about them (I am not a dealer, I just tell them to go to bikersimage.com). I have the CFR on my Vrod and it is awsome, once I bought the Road Glide I could not wait to get the CFR's on it too. Next is 204 cams, I expect them to louden up a little from the lift/duration. We shall see....

Old 04-07-2009, 04:43 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have them on mine as well.Got them thru bikersimage but i believe you can get them thru cary faas directly.I ordered the cfr headers thru cary faas and they arrive tomorrow will be installing them as soon as they arrive.Just so everyone knows i did see somewhere cant remember now where but the cfr's can be purchased black.Saw them once when i googled for the slipons.

Attached Thumbnails CFR Pipes (good bad)?-rkc08002-1.jpg   CFR Pipes (good bad)?-rkc-08-006.jpg   CFR Pipes (good bad)?-rkc-08-012.jpg  
Old 04-08-2009, 08:19 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just thought i would add to this that i complemented my cfr slipons with the cfr headers that arrived today.All i can say they look outstanding very tight fitting and not as wide in diameter as other headers.The sound is out of this world.I had added the PC-V earlier and this bike runs like a dream.Obviously i'm extremley happy.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:06 PM
jtrisch1026
Novice

I have a 2009 King Classic with 204 cams and cfr slip on's .They have a great sound and looks but I believe suffer because the are a wide open pipe. I am looking into getting baffles on them or even changing the pipes . has anyone else experienced this problem if so pleas advice what remedy you used

Old 04-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrisch1026
I have a 2009 King Classic with 204 cams and cfr slip on's .They have a great sound and looks but I believe suffer because the are a wide open pipe. I am looking into getting baffles on them or even changing the pipes . has anyone else experienced this problem if so pleas advice what remedy you used
I know I have said alot of good things about the CFRs, but I'm begining to think they do present a challenge to tune. I have mentioned it before, but with my current set up, I have a small dip @ 3500 rpm. For whatever reason but my builder and tuner believe it is the power dual/CFR combo.

I'm spoiled though. I love the looks and sound of the CFRs and was told (in more than one ocassion) that I should get rid of them and get something else. Not gonna happen, unless the dip can't be fixed. I'm thinking about getting an X-pipe from Fullsac to replace the power dual and Cary from CFR sent over some inserts (I presume some type of restrictor) for the slip ons. I'll be taking the bike back in for the final tune soon, hopefully we can get it all smoothed out.

The other option is Cary is making a 2-1-2 head pipe but says it will be awhile before production ones are available.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:11 AM
jtrisch
Novice
Smile cfr's

I spoke to a very creditable tuner and builder today. He suggests I get it dyno tuned and put restriction in the cfr's so it creates back pressure. He feels the pipes are to wide open and need to be restricted to respond like a 2 into 1 pipe. He said that would smooth the bike out and also show better in the dyno charts. Keep in mind in my case I have 204 cams don't know what your set up is but I am sure that will help you too. carry cfr said he has cones that go in the pipe to restrict the pipe . I will have my bike done this week and will post the results for you to look at

Old 07-20-2012, 03:56 PM
RD Parrish
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Big Twi$t
I know I have said alot of good things about the CFRs, but I'm begining to think they do present a challenge to tune. I have mentioned it before, but with my current set up, I have a small dip @ 3500 rpm. For whatever reason but my builder and tuner believe it is the power dual/CFR combo.

I'm spoiled though. I love the looks and sound of the CFRs and was told (in more than one ocassion) that I should get rid of them and get something else. Not gonna happen, unless the dip can't be fixed. I'm thinking about getting an X-pipe from Fullsac to replace the power dual and Cary from CFR sent over some inserts (I presume some type of restrictor) for the slip ons. I'll be taking the bike back in for the final tune soon, hopefully we can get it all smoothed out.

The other option is Cary is making a 2-1-2 head pipe but says it will be awhile before production ones are available.
I purchased the 2-1-2 stainless header from Fuel Motto w/CFR on a 11 streetglide. Had it dynoed w/Screamin Eagle race tunner it gained 20 ft lbs of torque and runs perfect......1000 times better than stock. You will not be disapointed with this set up. No problem with back pressure. Just be sure and buy the SE race tunner nothing else peroid..........I have tried the piggy back system's had problems with this set up....so I went with SE tunner....like I said runs perfect!!! Waiting on Fuel Motto for new header to go on my new 2012 Ultra........................

Old 07-14-2014, 01:59 PM
MGuns0491
Stage I
Default CFR pipes

Just joined this forum, like my fellow master guns I'm also looking for some intel about these pipes. I have a 2010 street glide, motor is stock, just stage 1 kit with 2-1 Rinehart. I'm looking for a replacement slip-on 2-1, a guy on the street highly recommended CFRs, he was running these on his S Glide, I liked the sound. Just want to make sure I make the right investment, appreciate any input.

Semper....
MGuns0491 (active)
29 Palms, CA

Old 07-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Make sure your head pipe has a 1 3/4 inlet for the muffler to attach to. I know Rinehart true duals are 2" in diameter for the slip on so they do not work with CFR's either.

I run CFR's on my bike with a set of headers and love them. They sound great, a super low bass deep ruble that is unmatched by any other pipe I have ever heard.
Name:  cfrsmoothch_zps098f9074.jpg
Views: 5293
Size:  4.13 MB
Name:  IMG_2984_zpsffd77789.jpg
Views: 5064
Size:  3.34 MB

Last edited by Hogpro; 07-14-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: CFR Pipes (good bad)?