Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another 2007 bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 04:33 PM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rickoshay45
Got 43K on mine. The tranny bearings went south but the engine has had no problems.
45K and just replaced the starter. satisfied with my ride. what issues?????????????????

Old 10-24-2008, 04:39 PM
scg1953
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
I think there is a large portion of 07 owners who are very happy with their purchase. For the most part you can place me in that category. And most of us don't speak up to that. Yes I've added some items to my bike, the IDS, a SERT, pipes, etc. What's new with that. I also purchased the extended warranty, and I did on my 04 as well.
You can put me in the very happy and zero problem catagory.
2007 RKC

Old 10-24-2008, 07:31 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post My Final Word

Originally Posted by pittguy
IDS being a bandaid?-maybe-but it worked for most and pretty much ended the rants.Some non tourer models were left with the noise but the new SE comp may help them out and this comp along w/IDS on a tourer may end alot of the issues that some have had. No longer should the comp bottom out,transmitting all that shock straight to the crank-maybe lessening that chance.Hd has tried to make those earlier yr 96 owners happier but it has taken time,many couldnt wait that long.Same with the CVO crowd.These bikes have now gotten the testing that shouldve came before releasing.Yet in todays world that isnt always possible. Having to pay for these improvements have upset some but I have spent more on claims that never panned out.At least what HD has released is showing to work.
Garnered from this Forum:

Tranny Issue

Tranny Issue II

Tranny Issue III

Tranny Issue IIII

Seal Issue

08 Issues

Look, I could go on and on here,

These Threads, and others, are the reason I posted as I did earlier in this thread.

I repeat, I am not saying that all 07's and 08's are defective,

But,

Reading as I have here last Fall and early this year, my mind was made up on getting a Pre-07 bike, an 04 Road Glide to be exact.

I understand how everyone here that has a trouble free 07 and 08 wants to demonstrate how perfect their bike is, fine,

Using the Search Feature in this Forum typing "Tranny Problems" lands over 14 pages of issues,

I did not want to be one of the owners of an 07 or 08 listing my frustrations,

My last Word

Old 10-24-2008, 08:09 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by pittguy
No longer should the comp bottom out,transmitting all that shock straight to the crank-maybe lessening that chance.
This is what remains to be seen. Perhaps a non-modified (or merely "stage 1") engine will effectively "bottom out" this new compensator sooner/quicker, all the time, by virtue of not being able to overcome the stronger springs it contains. I'll keep my ears open for reports from the field.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:07 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My oil pump broke at 2years and one month 31ooo miles extendend warranty put a reman engine in for 50 bucks

Old 10-26-2008, 09:43 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

I'd be willin' to bet that you can do a search on ANY of the bikes, and find complaints 'bout 'em that'd curl yer hair. Part of the thing ah do is look at the history of the posters, to see how they "handle" their complaints/issues, and how they view 'em. Usually, those w/complaints rant on 'bout 'em and ignore common-sense suggestions on how ta overcome their issue. Others report 'em matter-of-factly, try suggestions as offered an' resolve their problem (or not). The latter are the ones ah generally pay attention to.
These are machines - not perfect creations, and will all have their strengths/weaknesses. If the issues become more than the price of admission is worth, then it's time ta get shut of it an' move on ta something else that'll make ya happier - but lemme tell you - ALL of 'em have their problems. Most of 'em can be overcome - but for some, it's better ta just move on. That's what I did when the previous brand ah rode fer 12 years/250k miles became more than ah cared ta worry over. It lets ya enjoy life MUCH better.......

Old 10-26-2008, 10:05 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TexasRedneck
IDS: Isolated Drive System

Designed for those unwilling to realize that luggin' an engine creates noise - an' damage.
Not totally true. My compensator would clatter at hiway speed (70 and up) in 6th gear anytime there was not a load on the engine, anytime I eased off the throttle. IDS stopped that. To this day I still get compensator clatter if I ease off the clutch from a stop with to little throttle.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:47 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

From the git go, my Ultra has not shown any of the issues people have been complaining about on the 07's. I did put in the IDS early on, and maybe that was the difference, I don't know. But at 21000 miles it runs just fine with no issues at all.

I did buy the extended warranty based on my experience with the 02 Ultra and its cam tensioner shoes problem, so I'm covered for five years. I also get the bike service regularly by HD techs, so I feel real well covered if anything should go wrong. I am good for at least 100,000 miles since I average 20,000 a year.

These bikes are expensive, no doubt. They need to be coddled some to get the best they have to offer out of them. If ya can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:11 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe we should revive this old thread . . .

2007 poll

Old 10-27-2008, 12:15 AM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 08 has had a problem ever since it was new. Every single stinkin time I ride it the dam thing makes me get this uncontrolled, stupid look'in grin. I mean seriuosly, my face gets sore and cramps and s--t.

Quick Reply: another 2007 bites the dust