Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curb, Scrape...Kickstand down

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 02:38 PM
crfranklin65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, this thread has better info

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...installed.html

Old 03-08-2009, 02:39 PM
crfranklin65
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bilboy
What's this all about? Is it a factory recall?
Not a recall. They are safe. They just make another bracket that won't make the bike lean over so far. Runs around $68. Some dealers will replace them at no charge. Mine did. The first thread I posted has before and after pictures.

Last edited by crfranklin65; 03-08-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: used wrong word
Old 03-08-2009, 11:15 PM
driven2fish
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
there's a much easier way. take the bolt and catch tab off the top. swing the jiffy stand all the way forward. you can then attach the spring very easily. swing the jiffy stand back, reattach the catch tab and bolt and you're done.

FYI, this is the procedure outlined in the manual......
Just got off the phone with bro-in-law and he is happy that I fixed it. I could have taken all of the credit, but I emailed him the link to this site. He left it in my garage and all is good! Thanks for the help that tip worked out great and the RK is resting on its own.

ECV (#1855) thanks you...

Old 03-09-2009, 07:07 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by $oul Child
HDV you got any info the date of manufacture on "the early 09" jiffy stand? I have an 09 and it leans more than any other year, and I haven't even put the 21/18's on yet.
Mine was built in Aug and it needs the new bracket....

Old 03-10-2009, 07:30 PM
ultraherbie
Cruiser

Broke my kick stand spring, riding over a curb. Bought a new spring, to install it I used 8-9 nickels, put 1 nickel in the spring at a time until the spring is long enough to hook up. Put the kick stand down and all the nickels fell on the ground.
I carry a extra spring with me now. best $9 bucks I ever spent.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 PM
jjlefty51
Road Warrior

Great info. I am going to look for the longer one. Does anyone have the part number?

Old 03-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member

Hope you get that thing fixed

Old 03-10-2009, 08:20 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

If you have an early build touring bike, call HD Customer Service and tell them you were at your buying dealer and saw that the newly arrived bikes do not lean as much as yours. Is there anything that can be done to correct that. They will say, yes, there's a new bracket and they will take care of getting your dealer to replace yours. They will call your dealer and give them a reference number and tell them to order a new bracket. Your dealer will call you and advise that HD had called them and when the bracket comes in, they will call you to get the bike in for the swap. This was my experience with them anyway.

DO NOT tell HD customer service that you read about this on any forum. They will give you an attitude big time. They probably will still get the bracket replaced for you but the tongue lashing is not worth it...Another words, play stupid and it's a piece of cake to get the new style bracket.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, get yourself a roll of nickels.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
pheftel
Stage I
Default Easy kickstand spring replacement

It's acutally pretty easy if you have a long skinny screwdriver. Just lean the bike by putting a brick and a 1 by 4 under the frame on the right side. You may need more or less depending on how your bike is set up. But once you have it leaning right, then just put the stand up, hook the spring in the stand and align the spring with the hole on the bottoom of the frame. Then put the screwdriver in the hook you are trying to connect to the frame and use the top of the kickstand as a lever to stretch the spring and push it in. It should take no more than 30 seconds once you are down there.

Quick Reply: Curb, Scrape...Kickstand down