Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curb, Scrape...Kickstand down

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:19 AM
driven2fish
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curb, Scrape...Kickstand down

First post been stalking this forum for a while, great stuff...

Went riding yesterday and my bro-in-law (00' Roadking) scraped in a corner. His kickstand came down and down and stayed down. Stopped and found that the sprint somehow came off and was dangling. Nothing broke, but we could not get the spring back on the stand so we had to McGuver it to stay up till we got home. We've tried to pull that thang on, taken the kickstand off and tried it another way, but no go.

Is there a trick to get that spring on?

thanks in advance.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:54 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Grab it with a pair of plier and muscle it in there. You can use a screw driver to help guide it towards the hole. They are a pain. It is also easier if you lay the bike on the its right engine bag guards when you do it. Always carry a bungee cord with you just in case you lose or break a spring.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:05 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts
Smile Get Hosed!!!!!

FYI, I read in another thread that a guy had put a section of rubber hose(Clear/Black whatever)Over the spring and it helps hold it on?!?!? Havent tried it but im going to, seems like a cheap small mod for what seems to be a big problem???? Good Luck, Happy Trails......http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...ons/icon10.gif R.W.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,222 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbk
Grab it with a pair of plier and muscle it in there. You can use a screw driver to help guide it towards the hole. They are a pain. It is also easier if you lay the bike on the its right engine bag guards when you do it. Always carry a bungee cord with you just in case you lose or break a spring.
there's a much easier way. take the bolt and catch tab off the top. swing the jiffy stand all the way forward. you can then attach the spring very easily. swing the jiffy stand back, reattach the catch tab and bolt and you're done.

FYI, this is the procedure outlined in the manual......

Old 03-08-2009, 01:19 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll be needing those instructions when I remove the early 09 jiffy stand bracket next week to replace with the updated version.....Thanks for the info....

Old 03-08-2009, 01:40 PM
hdbe
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why does this happen? does the spring wear out? Does it happen often?

Old 03-08-2009, 01:54 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I rode off a curb and smashed mine. That is the only time I 've had a problem with the spring. They do wear-out and break now and then.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:59 PM
$oul Child
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
I'll be needing those instructions when I remove the early 09 jiffy stand bracket next week to replace with the updated version.....Thanks for the info....
HDV you got any info the date of manufacture on "the early 09" jiffy stand? I have an 09 and it leans more than any other year, and I haven't even put the 21/18's on yet.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:36 PM
crfranklin65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by $oul Child
HDV you got any info the date of manufacture on "the early 09" jiffy stand? I have an 09 and it leans more than any other year, and I haven't even put the 21/18's on yet.
I'm not convinced they ever changed the bracket. Mine was leaning as much as '09's on the floor now. Follow this thread for info/part #.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...kickstand.html

Old 03-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Bilboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
What's this all about? Is it a factory recall?

Quick Reply: Curb, Scrape...Kickstand down