Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have to use the Biketronic kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 02:44 AM
Badwished
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have to use the Biketronic kit?

I have a 2001 Electra Glide Classic. I want a better deck.. can you use any deck? any special Mounting hardware? From what I read Sony are popular choice. I dont care about loosing the thumb controls. . I am going to but some 4ohm speakers also. but I want intergrated XM and all.. thanks

Old 06-18-2006, 02:59 AM
pointswhat
Road Captain
Default RE: Do you have to use the Biketronic kit?

You dont have to use the biketronics kit or the others like it but you will lose the thumb controls. The Sonys are popular because thats what works with the biketronics kit. I believe there is a special bracket to hold the radio as the stock is bigger than a standard radio.

Old 06-18-2006, 03:35 AM
wldhogn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before the Biketronics kit you had to hard wire the new stereo in and it was a pain .. with the Biketronics it's just a plug in and you can add XM radio to the system also. I have the Biketronics kit and I love it .. the Sony CDX-GT400 plays MP3's also which is very cool, you can put a couple of hundred tunes on one CD for those times you lose signal in the mountains .. (not very often but it does happen with satellite radio). Good luck!

Old 06-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Badwished
Novice

What kind of Bracket do I need? is there a Harley part I need to buy?

Old 06-18-2006, 12:39 PM
pointswhat
Road Captain

I'm not sure if the bracket is necesary but you can buy one from Hawg wired LINK. The Biketronics kit doesn't look like it comes with one but I am still running the stock radio so can't be sure.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:31 PM
capt42a
Road Master

Badwished, Pointswhat,
The Biketronics Retro Radio kit does come with a radio mounting bracket along with the interface for the hand controls. I also want to comment on how waterproof the Biketronics kit with the optional rain cover. Some freinds and I rode to the Great River Road rally near Dyersburg yesterday evening, and the bottom fell out about 10 miles before we made it to the rally. It rained so hard during the few hours we were at the rally and even worse coming home. It got so bad we had to pull over under bridges on the way home. The radio operated flawlessly all the way home (around 80 miles) in the downpour.
capt42a

Old 06-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Badwished
Novice

what I am asking is this. is there any place locally I can get a mounting kit for this something generic that works? i took my stock radio out and see the sony gt400 radio I bought is to small.. what is everyone else doing? I dont want to spend $200.00 for aa biketronic kit

thanks

Old 06-18-2006, 07:18 PM
pointswhat
Road Captain

The link in my previous post is for just the cradle to hold the radio and they want $70 just for that. You can view that HERE. Personaly I am planning on spending the extra money and get the whole kit for easier instalation and removal down the road.

You could also call around to some of your local car stereo shops to see if they have anything as well as your local pepboys.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Badwished
Novice

Thanks I read that, Anyone installed a Radio without buying these expensive kits?

Old 06-19-2006, 01:19 AM
81forever
Intermediate

Just installed a pioneer in mine Saturday.Easy, go to yor local stereo shop and buy a generic install kit and a solid face plate. Take your time or have a local install it. Don't sweat it. The big boxes such as circuit city or best buy are clueless. Finf a local shop that works on the kids cars and they can do it. Take your service manuel to show them how to remove the outer fairing and the wire diagram. By the way my Pioneer was 249.00 and much better than the factory piece of junk for which they want 995.00

Quick Reply: Do you have to use the Biketronic kit?