Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel & Brake Caliper Interchange/Replacement on 1980 FLT ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 12:24 AM
vme2
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel & Brake Caliper Interchange/Replacement on 1980 FLT ?

First off, I apologize for making another thread, and if I've done wrong, please merge this one into my other thread regarding the clutch and engine mount.

Having gotten my clutch and primary drive squared away, and having ordered a set of motor mounts for an EVO FLT, I am now on to doing brakes on my 1980 FLT. For those just tuning in, I bought the bike with no engine and it is now slowly but surely being converted to an Ultima EVO clone engine.

I can't find brake rebuild kits for the 1980-1983 FLT dual disc calipers, and worse yet- my right side caliper is so bad off it can't be rebuilt. The left side may also be beyond saving- the bleeder screw is rusted in place and the brake line is as well.

Is there any other set of dual calipers from another Harley that will fit this 1980 FLT monostrosity ?

If not, would the following scenario be possible:

I would like to convert my front and rear wheels to the 10-spoke mag wheels that came off of the 1984+ FLT.

If I do that, and change out the master cylinder, hardlines, and brake lines, can I run the '84+ brakes on my front and rear?

I have a 1980 FLT bible coming as well as an 84-99 FLT CD-Rom bible, so hopefully I won't be such a pest with questions.

Thank you for all your help. Harley people are the best and these forums are no exception.

Last edited by vme2; 12-29-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:26 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by vme2
First off, I apologize for making another thread, and if I've done wrong, please merge this one into my other thread regarding the clutch and engine mount.

Having gotten my clutch and primary drive squared away, and having ordered a set of motor mounts for an EVO FLT, I am now on to doing brakes on my 1980 FLT. For those just tuning in, I bought the bike with no engine and it is now slowly but surely being converted to an Ultima EVO clone engine.

I can't find brake rebuild kits for the 1980-1983 FLT dual disc calipers, and worse yet- my right side caliper is so bad off it can't be rebuilt. The left side may also be beyond saving- the bleeder screw is rusted in place and the brake line is as well.

Is there any other set of dual calipers from another Harley that will fit this 1980 FLT monostrosity ?

If not, would the following scenario be possible:

I would like to convert my front and rear wheels to the 10-spoke mag wheels that came off of the 1984+ FLT.

If I do that, and change out the master cylinder, hardlines, and brake lines, can I run the '84+ brakes on my front and rear?

I have a 1980 FLT bible coming as well as an 84-99 FLT CD-Rom bible, so hopefully I won't be such a pest with questions.

Thank you for all your help. Harley people are the best and these forums are no exception.
Swap out to 2000+ lower fork legs and run 2000+ 4 piston calipers and rotors, you'll then have access to all the modern brake pads that are available and it will be a long time before parts are not available for them. Should be able to find plenty on ebay. Iam sure its time for a fork rebuild anyway just swap in the later parts.

Last edited by hog-doc; 12-29-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Convict Rick
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the rear wheel? The sprocket and disk have there own bearing. How do you put a later model rear wheel on a 1980 FLT? Does the FLT have an unusal swingarm or can they be changed with a later model swingarm? Any help appreciated as i am new to my 1980 FLT and your great forum. Thanks