Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Ultra rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:16 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSN711
I would like that Tech Tip too if you don't mine.

Here's what I "think" was going on. The whole time it felt like a vacuum/air leak to me as this is the first thing I would look for on a carb bike. I checked the intake manifolds and the gaskets and found no leak. This is my first EFI bike. I thought the IAC was the problem but when the dealership replaced it and it didn't work, well...so, to the TPS and the engine temp sensor.

So, why the throttle stop screw? If it wasn't mentioned by a couple of people here, I would have never looked at that. But thankfully, we have a lot of people with a lot of years of knowledge in all sorts of areas on this forum.

The throttle plate was open just a crack allowing air in besides the IAC. This was like having a vacuum/air leak. By adjusting the screw back some the plate closed fully. Leak gone. Idle reset and back to normal. At least that is what I am thinking since I have no way to look at the ECM and the values.

BTW, anybody know where I can get a new throttle stop screw? It's not listed in the parts manual (probably because you aren't suppose to mess with it except a "trained" Harley technician...
Sure hope it's fixed. You should go to the other post started on this subject. In short form my 07 Ultra started this same issue. I owned a custom bike shop, only because I've a very successful car facility and deal with the dealers ...I was like really. You don't diagnose you replace parts. Anyway mu bike has this issue..did the bulletin for the Iac reset...came back.....has a Zippers computer rules out factory BS and relearn BS a year ago or so it happened and replaced the IAC ...great fixed makes sense.....on a 250 mile trip back again. Did the cleaning relearn etc, fixed. Coming home 200 mile mark started again. Drove since it was all highway, got home and no issue and hasn't been an issue. So not sure how the screw can be backing out and readjusting. According to your fix (which for you I hope it is fixed) how ever it appears to be an interminttant issue...maybe even a bad run of IAC's. I believe a friend of mine mentioned there was an after market company making these instead of using a HD. I understand checking for intake leaks etc, but it appears we have all gone down that road.

I haven't driven the bike much and I'm taking my wife to Sturgis, her first time. I do not trust the bike at all. Hate to throw parts at it but I may just buy a new after market throttle body assy. Good luck guys I will look at the screws..but do not understand be loctited in that they would move all of a sudden.....think about it? This happend to a ton of 07 riders with mileage on their bike and it's not an ECM related issue

Email me with any thought...If I come up with something I'll repost