Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

primary fluid leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:40 PM
clayharley
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default primary fluid leaking?

Ok, I have an 02 RK and I notice that when I park the bike for several hours it leaks a couple droplets of primary fluid. When I feel around it feels wet right at the bottom of the primary near one of the bottom hex bolts. Any thoughts of why? Maybe a primary gasket needs replaced? How serious is this? Also, how do I actually check the primary fluid to tell if enough is in there? Sorry, new to working on bikes. Thanks,

Old 03-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I might not be primary fluid. Might be tranny fluid from the main shaft seal.
It ends up in the same location.

Or it could be primary fluid from your inspection cover, or as you said the primary cover gasket.

An over filled tranny can also cause thise.

I run Redline Shockproof in my trans. It is bright pink. No mixing it up with primary fluid.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leaks are a pain in the A$$. Start with the easiest things first. Check the fluid levels first. Next check to see if the allen screws are tight or stripped at the bottom of your primary cover. Change out the primary cover gasket. If these things don't take care of your leak, your going to need a manual and some tools.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:06 PM
clayharley
Advanced

Where do I actually check the fluid level for the primary? For the oil and tranny there are dip sticks, but where is it for the primary and where do I fill it at?

Old 03-30-2010, 05:15 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

With your RK upright and the derby cover removed, the fluid should be just below the opening for the derby cover.

That's where you fill also.

Check the tightness of the bolts along the bottom of your primary, snug them up and don't strip them. Last fall I had a weep and just needed to snug up the bottom bolts.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:57 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Easier to fill through the chain inspection cover than the derby cover, FYI.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:59 PM
SuperAir
Advanced

Originally Posted by cruise_carter
With your RK upright and the derby cover removed, the fluid should be just below the opening for the derby cover.

The fluid should actually be right at the bottom of the clutch diaphram spring. Pull the rubber vent hose off the transmission and check to see if it's dry.Overfilled trannys will vent oil out when they are cold. The most common place for a leak on those bikes is the shift shaft seal.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:03 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Yeah the fluid is supposed to just cover the bottom of the clutch basket. Filling to just below the derby opening is overfilling!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TC88 in my 02 Dyna had a primary drain plug with no flange or O-ring. It was on the bottom of the primary case and would leak a few drops like you describe. I tried Teflon tape, liquid pipe sealant, and high temp thread sealant, but nothing stopped it. Finally quit worrying about it.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:57 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
The TC88 in my 02 Dyna had a primary drain plug with no flange or O-ring. It was on the bottom of the primary case and would leak a few drops like you describe. I tried Teflon tape, liquid pipe sealant, and high temp thread sealant, but nothing stopped it. Finally quit worrying about it.
Just didn't use enough Teflon tape (LOL). I never understood MOCO's design of that plug.

Before you go through all that oil checking and stuff, find a mirror that you can slide under the bike and see if the oil is coming from between the primary and transmission. If it is coming from there, I think its your shifter seal. Very common problem and very few 02's that haven't had that fixed. A few others have had the gasket between the primary and crankcase leak as well, but it is typically the shifter seal. About $350 (give or take) if you have a shop do it. About $50 (give or take) if you do it.

Beary

Quick Reply: primary fluid leaking?