Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with power when hot 2010 FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Three phases of heat management

I just read in my sepst users manual that there is three phases that your ESPFI does as heat management even when the EITMS is shut off. This is on page 12 of the users manual. Phase one, if it detects cyl temp over 300F it reduces idle speed. Phase two, it richens the AFR. Phase three, It directs the fuel injectors to skip. So this might be what some are feeling as power lose when it is hot. My oil temp was reading 230 and my EITMS was turned on,I could feel,hear and smell the bike running on one cyl. The owners manual for the bike says that EITMS kicks in at 287 and the sepst users says 300. Well anyhow when i got out of traffic the bike had a noticable power lose when i went to get on the highway this has to be the other part of the heat management system working when the head is above 300F

Old 08-09-2010, 05:21 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by {Durf}
Wow....just finished reading all "13" pages on this thread! Guess I'll chime in too. Have a '10 Ultra (not limited...PO edition). Got the stage 1, Rinehart slip-ons and Master Tuner put on before delivery; still has the stock headers for now. My first HD bike. 5,080 miles on it now (just did the 5k service myself).

Right away- noticed that power is total **** in 6th gear going uphill while riding 2-up. More specifically, the bike is completely unable to maintain its speed in 6th gear at around 75 mph going up a steep bridge and I have to downshift to 5th gear just to maintain......not gain speed. I have never experienced this on my former bikes. Been complaining about this ever since I got it and everyone thinks I'm an idiot. Good to see this post, lol.

Set to get the X pipe from Fullsac Performance next and have it dyno'd again. I think this thread reaffirms that the CAT must go and the heat will follow.

Your not Crazy Mine did it too........ No more with the changes made. Lets face it guys, it has to loose the cat get free flowing from the air claner to the back end of the exhaust, and a MAP to make it run as it should from the factory. In reality I feel Harley would let us have it but the EPA has set its limits and we have to go around that to make it right.

Just Saying...........

Old 08-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Fatutef
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just took mine to Sturgis and had the problem. I took it to Black Hills Harley where the Vance And Hines rep was and they remove the Fuel Pak and replaced it but it did the same thing so I took it back and they put the Super Tuner on it and I never had anymore problems. The first 1000 miles of the trip, the problem was happeneing when it got hot but after the super tuner the last 4036 miles were trouble free and it seemed to have more power than ever. I also noticed that when it was happening if I got stuck in traffic or stopped for fuel and shut it off for even a short time when I started it back up it didn't happen for a while. Try the suoer tuner, it worked for me. My bike now has 7000 miles on it.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:49 AM
bagger90
Tourer

Originally Posted by mr2fast4u
1st I did not read all the posts, but this has to have been said

The moco was required to install the cat, if you want the 103 cu in to perform you are going to have to open up the intake and exhaust, and then have the computer reloaded.

Mine was done last week and this thing is a beast compared to my 2005 88 cu in softail.

Most will not believe this but with the wife on the back IT WILL PULL THE FRONT WHEEL.

In addition to the performance enhancement, it now runs nice and cool. Cool enough that I put my lower gaurds back on, the heat from the engine before was killing me. That cat is ridiculous, but they had no choice. Luckly for now we do it justs cost $$$.

my 2 cents
What did you do to yours? I would like to do the same.
ken.rhoads@us.army.mil

Old 06-27-2013, 09:02 PM
bagger90
Tourer

UPDATE:
I put the V&H power duels with V&H turndown mufflers. Have the Fuelmoto intake and used the Power Vission to remap the ECM. The bike does rum cooler without the CAT.
I have some popping when upshifting to 2nd and sometimes 3rd. Talked with janie and he sent me a new map to try. When I get the new map loaded I will update you again.
The bike is running better but the power is still not where it should be. maybe the new map will help. Just checked my MPG and it is at 24.5 MPG. After I remap I will check the plugs to see what they look like and check them after the remap and update all.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:07 AM
byucop
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bike did the same. At 5K the power would reduce ond require more throttle. Replaced the head pipe and put fuel moto slip ons. No more problem. Now at 19K and performance is great and plenty of power. Vance and Hines head pipe was the fix, along with Fuel moto help and stage one kit.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:38 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW, old thread. I have a kittyless pipe from fleabay, flxieds and a big sucker waiting to install on Big Red after I get home from sucking sand. I never experienced any loss of power but it does ping (due to me runnin 89) and it gets hot. Hope all of the above does the trick! Will find out in 60 days or so, WOOHOOO!!