Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with power when hot 2010 FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 02:29 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLS2FLH
Jack - no, this is a whole different thing. This issue comes up when the bike is hot. You can feel it off the line, and then as you run thru the gears. It's clearly diminished power - like LP is saying - almost like a sensor is misprogramming the ECM.

I just finished putting the '09 cat-less headpipe on my bike. I'm going out for putt now - it's broiling out so it will be a good test. I'm really hoping for much lower oil temps without the CAT. I will tell you this, I fired the bike up in the garage real quick and the exhaust is louder - sounds significantly better.... I'll check back in later with a report
Thanks!
I really interest in reading your report.
Hopefully, the CATless will help.
I am waiting my Jackpot exhaust arrive within a few days.
Nick

Old 07-05-2010, 02:58 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer

OK - I'm back and happy to be in the air conditioned house! Right now, its 96 degrees/30 percent humidity out there.

So after installing the cat-less header, I warmed up the bike and rode 15 miles in the sun, at about 45 to 50mph. Stopped for gas and checked oil temp - 252 degrees.

I then went out on the highway and cranked for about 20 miles at 70+. Exited and checked the temp - 260 degrees.

Finally, took some backroads home where there were traffic lights. Pulled into the driveway and checked - 270 degrees.

So, as compared to Friday when my oil temps w/cat (about the same weather) were 280 in stop and go, I believe the cat had contributed to perhaps 10 degrees in oil temp.

The removal of tha cat has helped the heat factor in the right foot/calf area - as expected. I'm just a little bummed that my oil temp wasn't around 250 - 260 tops. It's definitely better.

And finally, I did not experience any loss of power - but admittedly I didn't want to spend much more time in traffic trying to coax it out of the bike.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:11 PM
DutchHawg
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 HD Limited

Is there any possibility that the rear cylinder shut down feature has anything to do with it. I have about 6500 miles on mine and too notice reduced power and lack of power on starts when the engine gets hot, maybe over 240 on the temp dip stick. I think I feel the difference too when on and going up a grade in 6th at say 55-60 mph, but only when the engine is hot.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:44 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer

Dutch - is your bike completely stock or do you have mods?

Old 07-05-2010, 07:22 PM
DutchHawg
Novice
Default 2010 HD Limited

Yes, my bike is all stock. Oh, and it looks just like yours, blue and black!!!

Old 07-05-2010, 07:35 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer

This is good info as now we can confirm both stock and PC-V 103 bikes are exhibiting the same behavior.

LP's 96" bike is an issue of the line but once going, seems ok. Maybe I'll turn my EITMS off for a while and see how it goes.

I do think this is a real issue and if any of you guys bring your bike in, or gather more info - pls post to this thread..

Old 07-05-2010, 08:22 PM
DutchHawg
Novice
Default 2010 HD Limited

Ed, do you think the rear cylinder shut down has anything to do with it? As I stated, when the engine is hot and I start off from a light, the engine bucks a little and appears not to have a lot of power. I thought maybe I was taking off on one cylinder.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:29 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS2FLH
Well - mine did it today AND my brandy new HD temp gauge dipstick read 281!
281*!!!!!!!!

I'm having a stroke and looking for a place to stop if I get to 240*

Old 07-05-2010, 08:30 PM
coolmac
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2010 RG with stage 1, using a D&D 2-1 system and PCV.

Hot day = > 85 degree

No power loss at 65-75 mph when hot.
Stumble off idle when hot.
Quick single ping on a moderate acceleration from 2000 rpm when hot.

FuelMoto tech suggested removing some timing. poor gas or some motors have higher compression.
I tried removing 2 degree of timing, no change.

Last edited by coolmac; 07-05-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:33 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer

It could be, Dutch. I need to do more homework on it - there is a post from not too long ago that describes the 'pases' of the EITMS. The way I understand it to work is that it senses motion, and it disengages when you give throttle and start to move. So, you might feel it 'stumble' like some of the other guys have stated, but it should let go and throttle response should be normal shortly thereafter. With what I experienced on Friday - throttle response was terrible until the bike cooled down. I guess the only way to really tell is again ride on a hot day and disable it... so long story short it might be a factor. I'm just not informed enough on how the 'phases' work. Gotta look for that thred...

Quick Reply: Problem with power when hot 2010 FLHTK