Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading the 96ci on my ultra this week

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 06:42 PM
drichards
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading the 96ci on my ultra this week

I called my wife while she was in town today and told her to stop by the Harley shop. I told her there would be a box there with my name on it. She is bringing home a pair of Rush slip ons with the 1.75" baffles and the double slot tips, the screamin eagle air cleaner and the SERT that is supposed to go with my bike. I'm going to try to stay away from these goodies until the weekend or I'll be up late and late for work.

Anyone who has performed any or all of this upgrades please chime in with any tips, tricks or hitches that I may run in to. I've got an 07 Ultra Classic that is all stock. I'm a descent mechanic and good with computers but with basic tools. Anything I might need to run out and buy as far as tools before I start?

Old 08-23-2006, 07:16 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Upgrading the 96ci on my ultra this week

dealership told me 2day the rhine exhaust,wheather slip ons or complete exh would not void warranty as long as o2s are used.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:56 AM
drichards
Cruiser

All the parts came home yesterday with a message frome the dealer. They told my wife to tell me to call them before I install any of the componets so that they could talk to me about my warrenty. I have to call them today. This should be and intersting conversation.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:35 PM
drichards
Cruiser

Good new. I called the dealer this moring and he told me to install everything, put in the canned map that is close to my setup with the SERT and then ride it down for a dyno tune and all would be well with my warrenty. He said as long as I don't go into the motor, the only issue with my warrenty that could ever arise would be on the ECM itself. The rest of the drivetrain warrenty is still intact. I plan on starting the work tonight (can't wait tis the weekend). I have to give them a weeks notice for the dyno so I'll post the graphs when I get them.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Ready2Ride
Outstanding HDF Member

Easy stuff, I did mine myself also. Stop by your local auto parts store and pick up a tube of anti-seize. put alot of it on the inside of the muffler where it slides on the pipe. You will understand why once you start pulling off the stock mufflers.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:48 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: drichards

Good new. I called the dealer this moring and he told me to install everything, put in the canned map that is close to my setup with the SERT and then ride it down for a dyno tune and all would be well with my warrenty. He said as long as I don't go into the motor, the only issue with my warrenty that could ever arise would be on the ECM itself. The rest of the drivetrain warrenty is still intact. I plan on starting the work tonight (can't wait tis the weekend). I have to give them a weeks notice for the dyno so I'll post the graphs when I get them.
You do realize what he told you? The ECM controlls all fuel & timing functions, if your motor siezed from overheating, burned a valve or piston due to the wrong mixture its on you, basicly you just thru out 2 years of warranty on your whole motor, cause they could relate the ecm to be the reason for a multitude of items effected by your changes, hopefully you wont have any problems.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:17 PM
drichards
Cruiser

I'm not worried about a wrong mixture since I'm having it tuned. As far as the ECM going out, my experiance has been when they go they go. They don't just change AF ratios or make subtle changes in the way the bike runs, they just quit and so does the bike. I do get your point as far as the dealer backing up and blaming everything on the CERT though. I wasn't really worried about the drivetrain warrenty but I didn't want the radio to quit a year from now and the MOCO tell me it's warrenty was void to to a race tuner.
I figure if there were a manufacturing flaw in the motor I would have seen it in the first thousand or even the first one hundered miles and if there isn't I'm sure it will last 25 months

Old 08-25-2006, 09:47 AM
drichards
Cruiser

Started last night even though I told myself not to. I was going to start with the CERT but after installing the software to my laptop I realized it doesn't have a serial port. It's got port that looks like a DB9 but turns out it is an auxilary video output. I went ahead and did the air cleaner and the right pipe but no fasteners came with the pipes or tips to install the tips (optional equipment I guess). I leave for work at 4:30am so I had to quit. I will drag my pc out to the garage tonight to finish the install.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:33 PM
drichards
Cruiser

The upgrade is complete and I'm very happy with the results. The rush pipes with the 1.75" baffles sound great at idle and heavy accell but mellow out nicely at cruising speed. The bike seems to be stronger but only over 4k RPMS. I'm going to have it dyno tuned in the near future to see if I can get more grunt at 2.5KRPM. The only hitch was the laptop. I had to drag one of my older PC's from the house that had a serial port. I won't be able to do any data logging this way(not a long enough extension cord) but I figure the dyno should get me wear I need to be without further tuning. The CERT was very easy and allowed me to turn on the heat management and idle function on my bike.
And the best thing is after riding for about 5 miles at slow speed on the back roads my oil temp is 195F. Before the tune it was running around 240F.