Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Add your two cents to the bank to help redefine a great product.

Get caught up with recent posts Here

Get all the info, check out:Previous Threads
Print Wikipost

107" Big Bore Kit and Dyno Testing by Fuel Moto

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gregsdart
You are partially correct if you say the increase in horsepower will show up on a lighter rotating assembly. But it only does so when the horsepower is charted with the motor accelerating at xx rpm per second. A light motor will spool up faster, showing more horsepower in exchange for the weight savings. Add the weight to that same engine, or dyno both a light and a heavy motor at a constant rpm, and you will have the same horsepower readings.
On the race track the lighter engine will perform better IF there is a large change in rpm during the course of a run or lap. That is why some circle track classes are dominated by V6 engines rather than V8s. The V6 motor makes the same power, but has a much lighter rotating assembly (IE short crank) so it "spools up" quicker, and the car goes faster. The motor didn't make any more power, it just didn't have to put as much energy into the rotating assembly to get up to speed, so that pushes the car faster.
You're actually introducing too many variables. If you have two identical engines and one has lighter internals, it should make more horsepower at a given rpm and have a higher peak horsepower (allowing for air/fuel delivery).

Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Good explanation!

Old 02-18-2013, 01:39 PM
rcmlndz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
I'm a Lubbock resident myself and the last time I bought any gas that was 91+ octane was at the Exxon @ Indiana & South Loop and at the Flying "J" Truck-Stop. If I find any more, I'll let you know, since I'll probably need some when I finish my 107 build.

Hopefully, Fuel Moto can tweak your map enough to stop the ping. I'm running the Power Vision and it is a GREAT device!

Lubbock, Texas is located around 3,300 above sea level so there isn't much need for fuel with an Octane rating over 90. Houston, San antonio and the Dallas-Fort Worth areas are at much lower elevations (Houston is at sea level), so those areas have gas in 92 & 93 Octanes.
I've been thinking about buying a Power vision myself. The only thing i dislike is the fact that it dont run closed loop. Is that a problem?

Old 02-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
Good explanation!
It is a good explanation. But that is regarding the flywheel which is a rotating assembly AFTER the engine. Like the driveshaft, etc. It changes the characteristics of the engine. The flywheel is just along for the ride.

I'm referring to lighter internals inside the engine - the rods, pistons and crankshaft, the pieces that "create" the rotating force.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
It is a good explanation. But that is regarding the flywheel which is a rotating assembly AFTER the engine. Like the driveshaft, etc. It changes the characteristics of the engine. The flywheel is just along for the ride.

I'm referring to lighter internals inside the engine - the rods, pistons and crankshaft, the pieces that "create" the rotating force.
Sorry to split hairs (kind of), but no pieces of your motor create force... The combustion of air/fuel creates force. All the moving parts of the engine are "along for the ride" so to speak. They are being moved by the force and in the process channeling the force to the next part. From piston>rod>crank>compensator>chain>clutch basket>clutch plates>clutch hub>trasmission>puley>belt>pulley>tire>ground

Making any one of those parts (or any part between the combustion and the tire) lighter, whether its inside your motor or not, will create a higher peak hp/tq at the wheel. Most of the time to small of a difference to to be even considered on a street bike... Unless your going from 10lb connecting rods to 6oz connecting rods or some unrealistic and dramatic change like that

Think of it as your engine using its power to do 2 things.
#1 Move itself and the drivetrain
#2 Move the bike.
Less rotating mass of the drivetrain or engine means less force required to move it, less force means less work done moving it, less work means less energy expended to move it, less energy expended means less power was used. If you decrease the power required to turn the engine internals by 10% (good luck with that lol) then you increase the power that makes it to the wheel by 10%. The overall power didnt change, but the usable power did.

Last edited by Frankenbagger; 02-18-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

I'm going to disagree. I believe (think) that lighter rods, pistons and crankshaft will measure higher horsepower (measured at the flywheel) than heavier at any given rpm. Equal force applied (combustion chamber) transmitted through lighter components will show higher horsepower.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:12 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmlndz
I've been thinking about buying a Power vision myself. The only thing i dislike is the fact that it dont run closed loop. Is that a problem?
It does in the realm of the narrow band O2 sensors, and you can buy the wide band kit to cover the whole enchalada.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to disagree. I believe (think) that lighter rods, pistons and crankshaft will measure higher horsepower (measured at the flywheel) than heavier at any given rpm. Equal force applied (combustion chamber) transmitted through lighter components will show higher horsepower.
I think we're on the same page here, I was just splitting hairs about the "parts creating power" comment. They transfer power, which is created by the combustion.

But as you and I both said, less mass on the parts of the rotating assembly will show more power measured downstream from said parts.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:14 PM
gregsdart
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're actually introducing too many variables. If you have two identical engines and one has lighter internals, it should make more horsepower at a given rpm and have a higher peak horsepower (allowing for air/fuel delivery).
All those variables are proven facts, through experiences of several race teams. I have no idea of why you think less weight will make more power, it can't, given that nothing else changes. The motor still consumes the same amount of air fuel mix.
It is a known and proven fact that a lighter crankshaft accelerates faster off a turn on an oval track, and the formulas for this weight reduction show exactly those results. It is not more horsepower, it is less mass to spin up. you can find the math in Herb Adams Chassis book.

Last edited by gregsdart; 02-18-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 107" Big Bore Kit and Dyno Testing by Fuel Moto