Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam timing off. need help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 04:01 PM
09ultraclassicrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam timing off. need help please

Fellas,

I am changing out my cams. I got the pushrods cut and removed for both the front and rear cylinders. The rear cylinder pushrods popped when I cut them. The front did not. (I did the front first) When I took the cam cover off, the timing marks are not aligned. The large gear mark is 180 degrees off. How do I get every thing back aligned? Is this an easy fix or have I got myself in trouble? Can I just turn the rear wheel to align the timing marks? If so, do I turn it clockwise or counter clockwise, or doesnt it matter? The cylinder was at TDC (or so I thought, piston was all the way at the top) when I cut the rear pushrods. What do I do from here to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails cam timing off. need help please-cam-chest.jpg  
Old 11-25-2010, 04:04 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by 09ultraclassicrider
Fellas,
What do I do from here to fix this? Thanks in advance.
Take out spark plugs, put bike in 4th gear and turn rear wheel until the marks line up. No biggie.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:06 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

just line the dots up. Turn the crank bolt with a wrench or rear wheel. if you have not remove the spark plugs so it spins easier. No sweat. oh and clockwise

Last edited by mtclassic; 11-25-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow. And the bike ran okay? This is interesting.

I'd like to know what allowed the bike to still run right. Might be a simple explanation but I haven't given it a lot of thought yet.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:11 PM
09ultraclassicrider
Cruiser

[quote=dawg;7579620]Take out spark plugs, put bike in 4th gear and turn rear wheel until the marks line up. No biggie.[/quote

plugs are out. the marks are lined up. I was hoping it was that easy but wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:13 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

I'd like to know what allowed the bike to still run right. Might be a simple explanation but I haven't given it a lot of thought yet.
He didn't install them like that, he just cut the rods and is taking them out. The timing is lined up properly, the dots were just not facing each other at that point.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:25 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

Hitting the wine a little early lol

Old 11-25-2010, 04:25 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

There is nothing wrong.

There are two crankshaft revolutions for each camshaft revolution (one compression stroke, one exhaust stroke).

Simply rotate the crankshaft one revolution and the timing marks will align. And yes you can do this by turning the rear wheel. Either direction is ok.

The reason for the pushrod "pop" you mentioned is because that cylinder (piston) was not at TDC of the compression stroke. Therefore the valves were not in the closed position and the "pop" you heard/felt was the preload on the pushrod because of the valves being partially open.

Hope this makes sense to you.

I assume you have adjustable pushrods to re-install? From the questions you asked here, and this is not a jab at you but rather a precaution you need to be aware of, make sure you understand the adjustment procedure. It's more than simply sticking them in there and adjusting the length to take up the clearance.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:28 PM
09ultraclassicrider
Cruiser

With the dots lined up, will the front or rear cylinder be in TDC? If I cut the pushrods for the rear cylinder when it was on exhaust stroke instead of the intake stroke (or vice versa, opposite of what I was supposed to have cut them), then turned the rear wheel to line up the dots, have I gotten everything alinged?

Old 11-25-2010, 04:32 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 09ultraclassicrider
With the dots lined up, will the front or rear cylinder be in TDC? If I cut the pushrods for the rear cylinder when it was on exhaust stroke instead of the intake stroke (or vice versa, opposite of what I was supposed to have cut them), then turned the rear wheel to line up the dots, have I gotten everything alinged?

Whether you cut the pushrods on a compression stroke or an exhaust stroke is irrelevant to the cam timing alignment. The timing chains/gears are the only way to alter the cam timing (or timing mark alignment).

As far as which cylinder is at TDC, just look in the spark plug hole. I believe it's the front cyl. but I'm not absolutely certain.

Last edited by 2black1s; 11-25-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: cam timing off. need help please