Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What grit paper can be used to remove scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 PM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What grit paper can be used to remove scratches?

I have some fine scratches on my tank and polish compound nor swirl x seem to have an effect. They are a bit more than just swirl marks. I use nothing but mf towels but am finding out they are not all the same. I was considering wet sanding the clearcoat but do not what I can use and not make them worse. Is 2000 grit fine enough or not or am I heading down a bad path. Any help? Thanks (and yes it is black) Maybe I am expecting too much

Old 12-21-2010, 09:41 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I think you are heading down a bad path with sandpaper unless you are a pro.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:46 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I know a guy with nothing but spotless black cars, he says do small sections and don't let your wax dry. He claims even the wax dust will scratch. It must be true, his cars are perfect.

Mark

Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, wtf is a mf towel? Everyone, please start your posts with the assumption some of us just got off a hard day at work, or just woke up, or perhaps drunk... depending on your time zone.

So I dono.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:51 PM
kimpearsonusa
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sober ................and I don't know!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:53 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

microfiber

many microfiber and other cloths, mitts etc. have polyester fibers which can be harder than paints, causing damage.

I am a 100% cotton guy. old flannel sheets, or buy diapers at target/ walmart etc. launder first with no fabric softener.

keep in mind any grit picked up can become a weapon to damage the paint so change cloths frequently

good soaps will float stuff off the paint and away

mike

Old 12-21-2010, 10:02 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

My bike is 11 years old and has 81k miles on it. It is scratch and swirl free. The key I have found is not to rub on it too much. I spray it it with S100 and rinse when washing. I use a good car wash soap and a lambs wool mitt for everything but the paint. I blow it dry. The only time I "rub" on the paint is when applying polish and taking it off...I never, ever wipe the dust off, even with a spray detailer....BTW, I use MF towels...LOL.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:12 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
My bike is 11 years old and has 81k miles on it. It is scratch and swirl free. The key I have found is not to rub on it too much. I spray it it with S100 and rinse when washing. I use a good car wash soap and a lambs wool mitt for everything but the paint. I blow it dry. The only time I "rub" on the paint is when applying polish and taking it off...I never, ever wipe the dust off, even with a spray detailer....BTW, I use MF towels...LOL.
+1. Mine is an 01 and having it recently repainted I learned he hard way. Can't remember the soap I use as I am away from home but it has wax in it.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:16 PM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do not let the wax dry but have on a few occasions. Inever use washed micro fiber towels on the bike but I think I am going to start the diaper route because as careful as I am it gets scratches.. I have wet sanded years ago but never on my bike. I never even had the ***** to buff a black vehicle but the bike is only 6 months old and they drive me nuts. Hey xxxflhrc, what color is your bike? My last one was Sunglow Blue and I had no issues but damn black is tough! lol

Old 12-21-2010, 10:18 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

My bike is Aztec orange.

Quick Reply: What grit paper can be used to remove scratches?