Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 107 build and Stereo install w/pictures (very long!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Garcou
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My 107 build and Stereo install w/pictures (very long!)

Well after doing countless hours of reading and research I finally decided to take the Plunge. I was originally running Woods TW-6 with PCV and AT, D & D Fatcat and Harley Heavy Breather. I decided to buy a 103 kit that I had found on another forum, I Paid 300.00 plus shipping, the owner stated that this was on his bike about 3000 miles or so, what attracted me was the low miles, diamond cut and CP 10-5.1 dome pistons, so the deal was done and I received the pistons and jugs, during the wait, I started shopping head porters and after talking to several,stumbled upon Don Dorfman of Head Design by Deweys he's located in Edgewood Washington (Tacoma). Ive got to say, I was comfortable with Don from the start, very smart and knowledgable, I explained to him that I had just purchased the 103 kit and that I had the woods tw-6 cams ect, he explained to me that with the dome pistons, we might need to do a little work on them to get compression levels optimum and to make sure everything was working together (yes there's more to this but it's more than I care to write) so we made a Plan to do his street port heads. He suggestEd I bring the pistons and cylinders down when I brought the heads in and he would measure things ect. Well the jugs and pistons showed up and I had already torn the bike down. I gathered the parts and made the 90 mile trek to his shop. upon arriving he immediately went to work and popped the pistons out if the jugs, to our surprise they where Weisco's (bonus!) everything seemed to look good, he put his calipers on things and the first thing that came out was the cylinders where four to six thousands out! Basically the cylinders where egg shaped, and it looked like the pistons rings never fully seated! Bummer! I immediately contacted the seller and explained what we found, he was at a loss for words and totally apologetic, within 10 minutes he credited my paypal account not only what I paid for them but shipping as well. He stated that he was running woods 400 cams and that his build was noisy and assumed that the drivetrain was the culprit, cylinders that are bored wrong or egged will make noise as well as consume oil. Anyways back to square one. I asked Don what he thought and he suggested having my stock cylinders bored to 107 and use the axtell flat top pistons. Well I said let's do it, at that point I had been following the 4sale section of the forum and there was a set of TMAN 590's for sale, I talked to Don about these and he stated with the right headwork, exhaust and tuner this would make a ripper! (when I originally talked to him, he asked me what my goals where and I told him "I want to be able to wheelie my bagger") so I purchased the cams and Don got to work. During this time I was reading alot about tuners, I have not had any luck locally (Seattle area) with good dyno tuners and was concerned about the cost. Enter Revolution performance EMS, I decided to give it a try, I have not read one negative review on this product, it is a auto tuner that makes some pretty big claims. So jumping ahead three weeks, cylinders and pistons arrived and I went to pick them up at Dons Shop, he sent me home with a tool to measure my deck height and full instruction on how to obtain this measurement:

After giving him my measurements I was expecting another week, he stated your heads will be done Tommorrow! Well tomorrow comes around and I had made arraignments for my buddy (who lives down there) to pick them up, not only did Don get my heads done a week early he also sent up a ring compressor and some rocker alignment tools! Upon my buddy arriving this is what I saw:

WOW! is all I can say!! What a great job! So at this point Don recommends that I do a mock up and clay my pistons and measure my clearance between the valves and the top of the pistons, I was a bit bummed with this step as I wanting to just get the motor togather, but in I did it! I mocked it up:

In retrospect Iam glad that I did, it gave me a trial run, refreshed my memory and gave me the confidence to move forward with no doubts. After the teardown I washed and scrubbed everything in hot soapy water and then douched the bores down with WD-40.

After all the parts where prepped, I proceeded to install the rings on the
Pistons, I thought this process would be quick but it ended up taking me 45 minutes or so, never doing this before I was a bit nervous on getting them set correctly (Don had set the ring gap for me), I followed the service manual to
the letter (not only on this but everything! )

At this point I believe it was 3:30 Pm, I figured that I had 3-4 hours left, did I mention my two buddy's (John and Rich) were here as well, both brought beer, for some reason I opened maybe 2 beers the entire day and maybe drank 3-4 gulps off of each beer, and by midnight there where 2 cases of beer gone! WTF?!! I put on a good show for the fellas, I worked they got
Drunk! Go figure! Anyways yep you read right 12:00 midnight, my last remaining buddy says I've got to hit the rack you going to stop or keep working? I says, see ya tomorrow! Well at approx 2:30 am Iam ready to hit the start button, I push it and the beast fires instantly!!!! Success!!!!! I did it!!!!! Woo hoo!

Here's a link to what it sounds like at idle: (turn your volume way up!!!! )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU2qlG6RdJk

Well at this point, Iam tired, I put all my tools away and clean up the shop and hit the hay. The next day is raining and it's everything I can do not to keep firing the bike up. I decide to install the new stereo system I purchased, I custom fabbed a faceplate using 1/4 black Lexan, I used 1/2 inch plexi 3 x 7 inch as spacers that sat between the radio and the cage, it was a bit of a bitch to get lined up, I got a little cockeyed but when I get the time I will straighten it out, also I dont have use of my hand controls right now, Ill be buying the hawgwired kit when the funds are available. anyways I got the Alpine IDS-395s and alpine type r 6.5 speakers and thanks to forum member RoadglideRick, a alpine pdx 2.150 amp here is a few pics

A shot of the amp in the left bag

I bought the head unit based solely in the reviews of fellow forum members and the fact it works seamlessly with my iPhone.

Anyways yesterday the sun finnaly graces me, I suit up and head out first impressions is down low it feels like my woods cam setup I had previous, at 2500rpms though things start to really wake up! I used the mototune method to break in the motor, I kept the rpms below 3000 and shifted up and down the gears for 25 miles, after that I went to 3500 rpms up and down the gears, for the rest of the ride I mostly kept the rpms around 3000-3500. I did hammer it 2 times though and walked it up to 5000 rpms, (at this point I had about 130 miles on it) let me tell ya what, you ever seen a grown man out in the middle of the mountains with no one around giggling like a school girl? Well that was me! The bike is a monster! It pulls so hard and the speedometer goes so fast, its awesome! It just keeps pulling, I did not take it over 5000 rpms, but till that point there was no flat spot! Just felt like more and more power was going to the ground! I can see why Don recommended a 58mm throttlebody when I can afford it. Well I get home and inspect the motor, no leaks no weeps! Everything is looking good. I don't plan on riding it again until I get the oil changed, I think that the motor is pretty well seated now, Iam going to just ride it like I normally would, I will try not to get to crazy though until at least 800 miles. I cannot again recommend Don Dorfman of Head Design by Dewey enough! If your on the fence about a build give him a call I cannot recommend him enough. As far as doing the work myself, it really wasn't to bad, I followed the service manual to a T, heck I only called Don 3 times during the buildup! I guess what amazed me was the simplicity of the HD motor, and also the amount of parts you have when you get it all apart! Bag and tag and keep a written journal! I need to get some more miles on the bike and then I will take it down to do a dyno pull and see where I ended up. Oh and least I forget Thumbs up on the Revolution Performance tuner! My bike purrs like a lion! Took about 5 minutes and 15'miles and it's running better than my PCV with AT ever did!

Last edited by Garcou; 02-17-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Numerous spelling errors and just dumbass grammer
Old 02-17-2011, 03:55 PM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Does it pull the wheel up like you wanted? Sounds like a nice build combination.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:59 PM
francodanco
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations!
Excellent post thanks for sharing and enjoy the fruits of your labors!

Old 02-17-2011, 04:10 PM
macride
Cruiser

awesome dude. nice job. waiting to get mine back so I'm envious. enjoy

Old 02-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

Uh, I've been wanting to read your post, but I can't seem to get past your avatar. LOL! When I did force myself to, I did read the post. Great job! Bet that thing runs and sounds great!
Jerry

Old 02-17-2011, 04:34 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer

Congratulations on your first major build. I know that has to give a huge sense of accomplishment.
The motor sounds pretty awsome.
I got to ride Sunday, testing out the woods .555 with PCv and F/M exh.sys.
100 miles, including a jaunt over I-90 to Snoqualame, at this time I am happy with the improvements. (I have the 10' ultra w/103")
Glad you found a good shop locally.
Good job explaining everything to us.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Garcou
Club Member

Originally Posted by sporacer
Does it pull the wheel up like you wanted? Sounds like a nice build combination.

I really didnt hammer on it at all, my break-in was roll on and roll offs up to 3000-3500rpms, by the way its running up to this point though, roll on wheelies should be a reality! I do know the 2 roll on's that I hammered it on, really put the power to the ground!

Old 02-17-2011, 05:05 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Been hearing a lot of good things about Don Dorfman ... can't wait to see the wheelie video ....

Congrats on what sounds like a great build ....

Old 02-17-2011, 05:19 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Your bikes sounds AWESOME. Looks like you will be giggling for a long time. It's going to be hard to get that grin off your face!!!

Pretty work.

YELLOWBIRD

Old 02-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

107 is the way to go...love mine!

Quick Reply: My 107 build and Stereo install w/pictures (very long!)