Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valvetrain Noise I Have to Live With??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:35 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Valvetrain Noise I Have to Live With??

Took my '07 Road King Custom (64k miles) to the dealer to check out a faint "ting..ting...ting" chain-like noise (at around 45 mph almost coasting) yesterday. Hoping to make some non-warranty money off of me they were very thorough. The only thing they said needed to be addressed was my mainshaft inner bearing race - which I obviously did since I was having my stator replaced anyway for a leaky grommet. A couple months ago my cam chain and tensioners were inspected too. Also, the wheel bearings were replaced about 5k miles ago.

The sad reality here is I'm gonna go over the bike again to try to find the source of this noise. I've read too many posts regarding "normal" valvetrain noise. So do I accept it and move on? ...or do I continue to drive myself nuts every time I hear it?

BTW, I've been using SYN3 ever since my 1k service.

Signed,
"Frustrated in Florida"

Old 02-18-2011, 11:17 PM
chateau
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked inside your primary cover?

Old 02-19-2011, 08:46 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chateau
Have you looked inside your primary cover?
Yes. I have and the dealer has. The sound is so faint and is intermittent it's little wonder the dealer could've find it. Sounds like its coming from the right side. Possibly the clutch plates rattling on each other?

The good new is the dealer wants it back and won't charge me another "diagnostic" fee again. Since this is a new sound, I'm sure something's just not right. So I doubt I'll just live with it.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of guys on here claim that their noise was coming from a weak compensator in the primary. Also, the '07 models were the first with the 96 inch motor and the 6-speed without an isolated drive sprocket on the rear. There is a constant tug-o-war going on between the longer stroke of the motor and the rear wheel. My '07 makes a similar noise so I purchased an IDS this week on ebay and waiting for the local dealership's next 20% off sale to get a SE compensator. It seems like the first year's production of anything is usually filled with learning what the factory missed. Our bikes is the same case.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:49 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I chased a noise im mine that sounded like it was in the valve train and after a lot of time and work I finally replaced the outer cam bearings and the noise disappeared.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scooty
I chased a noise im mine that sounded like it was in the valve train and after a lot of time and work I finally replaced the outer cam bearings and the noise disappeared.
His bike don't have outer cam bearings.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepacman
Yes. I have and the dealer has. The sound is so faint and is intermittent it's little wonder the dealer could've find it. Sounds like its coming from the right side. Possibly the clutch plates rattling on each other?

The good new is the dealer wants it back and won't charge me another "diagnostic" fee again. Since this is a new sound, I'm sure something's just not right. So I doubt I'll just live with it.
I had my primary chain tensioner not adjusting well, and the too-loose chain made an occasional "ting, ting, ting" like you described.
But I found marks on the lower part of my inner primary, just to the right of my compensator gear. Near one of the lower bolt holes.
Tightening up the auto tensioner a click made the noise go away.

I eventually changed the adjuster, but that's a whole different thread.

If you look hard, you can see some damage near the bolt hole closest to the right side of the compensating gear.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 02-20-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:05 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

I had a 07 FLHT STD It made noise from day one. It came from every where. I did change to Syn 3 after the 1000 miles & seemed to be worst in the primary. I just rode it. I just bought a 2011 FLTRX 103. All the difference in the world, not much noise from day one. NO Syn 3 in this bike. Buy buddys 07 Ultra makes the same type noise. Maybe that's a 07 thing. good luck

Old 02-20-2011, 08:23 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Two bikes can be built side by side and amazing enough, one can be so quiet and the other.....shouting like a sweing machine. Doesnt seem right but thats the way it is. Sort of like to identical vehicles and vary what for fuel mileage they get