General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Now what???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:37 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Now what???

This will be a long read sorry.
On labor day weekend I was headed to Minnesota from Ohio. Few hundred miles into my trip I developed a noise. It seemed like a ping so I did an autotune but it didn't help. Noise seemed to get louder by Chicago but I wasn't about to stop in Chicago so I kept going to Rockford. Found the HD dealer about 1:30 PM on Saturday afternoon of a holiday weekend. They test drove it and agreed with me that the noise now sounded like it was coming from the primary. They got me right in and tore down the primary and low and behold found the compensator was bad. At about 40k miles I knew it was worn out so I said go ahead and change it. They buttoned her back up and took it for a ride. Noise still there. It was now about 4:00 and the shop was closing. 4 mechanics, about 100 years experience and they couldn't agree where the noise was coming from. They were pointing in different directions. Top of the engine, primary, bottom of engine, left side, right side. Don't know what they would tear apart but could start tearing down on Tuesday. Rolled me outside and said sorry. Well, I continued as far as Madison Wisc and got a room. U-hauled home on Sunday.
I still believe the noise is in the primary so I opened it up and found my chain loose (I know. Kinda strange). The tensioner looked worn strangely only on the back of it not the front. Put in a Hayden m6. Noise still there.
Took it to my mechanic who thought the noise was from the cam chest so I tore it down. One guy in Rockford thought it was a lifter roller chirping too. Discovered some unusual wear on the tensioners. One almost looked melted. Changed them and opened the oil pump. Oil pump was badly gouged from something going through there. Replaced it with the SE cam plate and pump. Found one lifter roller seemed a little suspicious so I changed them all. Rinsed everything out best I could. This freakin' noise is still there.
If you are still reading this, thanks for sticking in there. The noise was described as a chirp. It seems to be in the primary to me but others have disagreed. It isn't a steady noise but rather a pulsing noise. It is there with the clutch in or out, in gear or neutral. Seems to come on about 1700 RPM all the way up. I have spent a small fortune changing worn components but none has eliminated my noise. Riding a 2008 FLHTC with Woods 6-6 cams, a little extra compression ratio with a welded crank with 40k miles since the initial rebuild at 10K.
Any thoughts or ideas? I don't know what to do next. Can't keep shotgunning this noise. Maybe it is time to ride it to destruction.
Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:04 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Mechanically any time I have had the phantom chirp like that it has always come down to a bearing. I don't know much about the internals on motorcycle engines (only because I haven't rebuilt one myself, knowing they are similar in design compared to an auto). Since you said it has a different cam I would start there (cam bearing?) I think, at least pull and inspect.

Last edited by DeputyLoud; 10-29-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:22 PM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Thanks. I looked at them while I was in there and they appeared fine. When I rebuilt the engine at 10K because of a spun wrist pin bushing, I put the good bearings in there. Appreciate the reply.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Joesim1212
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I have also heard some odd noises here and there. I don't know if I'm paranoid from reading these damn forums or is there really a slight tick once in a while. This is my first Harley so I don't know what to expect when it comes to longevity. Some guys never have problems and some seem to have the worst of luck. It honestly puts a damper on my riding. All these what ifs takes the damn fun out of it.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:13 PM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

In the summer the wife and I ride this thing all over the country. Couple vacations each summer. This is the second time it let me down. Not a big fan of this bike.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:13 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Joesim1212
Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I have also heard some odd noises here and there. I don't know if I'm paranoid from reading these damn forums or is there really a slight tick once in a while. This is my first Harley so I don't know what to expect when it comes to longevity. Some guys never have problems and some seem to have the worst of luck. It honestly puts a damper on my riding. All these what ifs takes the damn fun out of it.
It's no different than cars. Things wear out and break then need repairs. It's going to happen. The key is regular maintenance. My Harley is over 23yrs old, and in the short time I've had it I have had some carb issues. But what do you expect from a 23yr old machine? I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere. All I can really say is "Know Your Machine!" I have a hard time trusting other people to work on my stuff. Yes of course I do have to take em to the shop eventually for any kind of extensive work that I'm not comfortable with doing myself. But 98% of the time, I do the maintenance and repairs. You will gain the confidence in knowing exactly what has been done. I carry tools with me at all times, and for ease of mind I have AAA. And if I do ever need to tow it (knock on wood it hasn't ever happened yet) I have an enclosed trailer all set up to strap in a motorcycle. Just be prepared and expect the unexpected.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:32 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Yeah. I carry tools too. If it was just a carburetor, I could rebuild it on the road. I was 600 miles from home with a noise from the primary or the engine. I don't have the ability to rebuild either on the road. I do almost all of my own work and I do know how this machine works and still I can't pinpoint my noise. About 5 mechanics have listened to it and evidently none has been right about what is making this noise. I don't know where to turn now. Probably going to have to put it away for the winter broken. This sucks. Kegel Harley customer service was excellent but they couldn't find the noise. They got me right in and had the compensator off in about a half hour.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:57 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
Yeah. I carry tools too. If it was just a carburetor, I could rebuild it on the road. I was 600 miles from home with a noise from the primary or the engine. I don't have the ability to rebuild either on the road. I do almost all of my own work and I do know how this machine works and still I can't pinpoint my noise. About 5 mechanics have listened to it and evidently none has been right about what is making this noise. I don't know where to turn now. Probably going to have to put it away for the winter broken. This sucks. Kegel Harley customer service was excellent but they couldn't find the noise. They got me right in and had the compensator off in about a half hour.
I sympathize with ya, and that does suck. I apologize for coming off like a know it all. I am not by any means. One good thing is that is almost winter, and you should now have the time to tear into it as deep as you need to without having to be rushed. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress and findings.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:23 PM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

I do appreciate the response. I had a '90 FLHS. The basic Electraglide same as yours. I sure do miss it. I had to rebuild this one 800 miles after I bought it and I was glad to still have that one. Now regret ever selling it. I think I am going to look for one like yours next time.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:24 PM
MSP Dan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yargh. The dreaded "chirp." Quite possibly my least favorite of all infernal noises. God knows I've chased a bunch of them over the years. Most of them have ended up being exhaust related, and the worst part is that they "carry" and often sound like they're coming from anywhere but the exhaust. Some that come quickly to mind are:

1. Very slight exhaust leaks at the cylinder head will chirp sometimes.

2. A loose or broken hose clamp on a heat shield will cause the heat shield to chirp.

3. I've had the rubber muffler hangers on baggers chirp when they get old and the rubber dries up and hardens. I chased one of these for over a year on my own bike one time and about drove myself the rest of the way insane in the process. It sounded like it was coming from the front rocker box to myself and several others. Just for grins, spray a little WD40 on the rubber muffler hangers and see if it stops. I know it sounds crazy, but it doesn't cost anything.

5. I've seen more than a few blown head gaskets that would chirp as compression escaped to atmosphere.

6. I've had broken fairing brackets chirp and those noises also tend to carry to other parts of the bike.

Best of luck. I hope it ends up being something minor.

Quick Reply: Now what???