Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhausts, exhausts and exhausts again!...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Ratephi
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Exhausts, exhausts and exhausts again!...

All,

In a scale from 1 to 10 where 1 are the stock mufflers and 10 are the Thunderheaders... how would you rate the following mufflers in terms of noise?

- Rineharts 4"/3.5"
- V&H Big Shots true duals
- V&H Twin Slash Rounds
- Screaming Eagles 4"

With the exception of the Big Shots (which include the head pipe) I'm just considering the mufflers at the moment. My ride is a RK '09.

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:15 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Uh, they're all tied at "5". Your question, is exactly why I tried to start a discussion a long time ago about implementing an industry standard to categorize and quantify the sound qualities of exhaust systems. I was called a troll and got all kinds of negative input. As of late there is much more emphasis on EPA noise compliance, and you probably noticed some manufacturers are even starting to quote in their advertisements some sort of noise db camparison to stock. Its just a matter of time, weather the Gov't dictates it or the major players in the industry itself develops it, there will be a standard for exhaust sound in the near future. Anyway, go to some type of bike gathering, find a bike with the pipes you are intersted in and listen for yourself.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:29 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

+1

Hearing is believing, so get to bike night.

Sound is also very subjective, depending on surroundings ( walls, hard/soft surfaces), helmet ( or not),- also whether you have tourpak or passenger.

In general, low frequencies are omni-directional, high frequencies are very directional--- the rumble can be heard fairly evenly* in all directions- tinny, rappy noises are often projected in a straight line from the muffler opening.
Turn down pipes may reflect that noise right back at you, some pipes may direct those sounds at riders behind you ( or where-ever the pipes point)

which could indicate that a particular pipe may be compliant in one direction, loud in another.

I use Supertrapp Supermegs, the tunable pipes with the disc system- they can be as loud or as quiet as you want- completely compliant- or near as loud as the Thunderheader.
If you are looking for noise control that's an option.

You may have noticed that S/E is now selling Supertrapp style pipes ( nightstick is one) which are compliant for 2010 and up, that is due to the cat in the header- on a bike with no header these pipes may be non-compliant for noise- but are adjustable just like mine.

ECM tuning also has quite an effect on sound, header length, crossover or no, as does cam overlap.

Mike

* thin wall mufflers may resonate and project rumble better to the sides, however could be "flimsy"

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-09-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Ratephi
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"Uh, they're all tied at "5"." You mean they all sound the same??... mmmm.... I'm pretty sure there's a huge difference between for example the SE and a Big Shot.......

Old 03-09-2011, 10:05 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thunderheaders aren't *that* loud, unless you have lots of inches and high compression coupled with some nasty cams.

V&H Short Shots, Some Sampson duals, and many other un-baffled pipes are way louder than a Thunderheader. Guess those guys turn it up to 11 LOL

Old 03-09-2011, 11:08 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ratephi
"Uh, they're all tied at "5"." You mean they all sound the same??... mmmm.... I'm pretty sure there's a huge difference between for example the SE and a Big Shot.......
That was a little non-committal, non-abrasive sarcasm, I have no Idea what those 4 pipes sound like, but even if I did I wouldn't try to rate them. Like I said, there are a lot of elements to sound that can be isolated and scientifically measured and quantified, but they typically are not, and would not be commonly recognized by most people even if they were. Personally I like the sound of the wind rushing past me while riding, how would you rate the sound of the wind on your bike?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JCleary
Thunderheaders aren't *that* loud, unless you have lots of inches and high compression coupled with some nasty cams.

V&H Short Shots, Some Sampson duals, and many other un-baffled pipes are way louder than a Thunderheader. Guess those guys turn it up to 11 LOL
It looks like you got a complete 2:1 TH system. My brother's bike has the 2:1 thunderheader also, and you're right it's not "that" loud.... from the saddle, but ride behind him, its a whole nudder story, it'll split your brain.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:17 AM
viperr817
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
It looks like you got a complete 2:1 TH system. My brother's bike has the 2:1 thunderheader also, and you're right it's not "that" loud.... from the saddle, but ride behind him, its a whole nudder story, it'll split your brain.
I have had both 2-1 and thunderheader slip ons. And anyone that is close to me when I nail the throttle will feel like their ear drums are gonna POP. But for me and my passenger its not bad at all.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
That was a little non-committal, non-abrasive sarcasm, I have no Idea what those 4 pipes sound like, but even if I did I wouldn't try to rate them. Like I said, there are a lot of elements to sound that can be isolated and scientifically measured and quantified, but they typically are not, and would not be commonly recognized by most people even if they were. Personally I like the sound of the wind rushing past me while riding, how would you rate the sound of the wind on your bike?

Ok... hmm... not to be a di#$ but this post reads to me like what you originally stated the other posters did to you??? Doesn't help the OP out at all and almost feels a little negative.

As far as the question, I have the 4" Rineharts with headers, big sucker, and T-Max tuner. Cruising on the highway pretty tame. I would give it a 4-5 or so. Open the throttle up and your going to jump up around the 8 measure maybe. Not going to kill your ears or anything. Definitely not as loud as others i've heard but it can get attention. At idle in the open air, nice deep rumble that you can have a normal conversation standing right behind the pipes. If you are just considering the 4" slip-ons with no headers or anything. I have heard they are even quieter.

My friend has slip on 3.5's on his 09 SG and it sounds really good. Not as deep as mine but definitely not real loud. Mine are louder. So i would give his a 6 when he is throttling up through the ranges. If he is just cruising i would say a 3 max. Good sounding exhaust in my opinion.

Hopefully this helps a little. Just as everyone has said though... it's all objective and are due to the listener

Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Brettcr
Ok... hmm... not to be a di#$ but this post reads to me like what you originally stated the other posters did to you??? Doesn't help the OP out at all and almost feels a little negative.
Thankfully you weren't the OP, I don't think he took offense and my reply was not in the spirit of negativity. Bottom line, I gave him the best advice that anyone could possibly give; "go listen for yourself", I was just a little more creative at expressing my extended viewpoints on the subject.

Originally Posted by Brettcr
Hopefully this helps a little. Just as everyone has said though... it's all objective and are due to the listener
What's this?... Sounds like (no pun intended) you subscribe to my basic theory also, that you just can't adequately describe in words, how something sounds.

Quick Reply: Exhausts, exhausts and exhausts again!...