Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has gotten the compensator replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had mine replaced, but I had to pay the difference. But, when my stock compensator went, it blew big time, so they also had to replace the housing and other parts along with it.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At 51,000 Ocala Harley replaced my stock compensator with another stock compensator under original factory warranty. At 86,000 they replaced the second stock compensator with a SE compensator, no charge with RPM One extended warranty. 07 Ultra

Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

So... after reading this thread and of course several others in this forum about the compensator there is some common observations:

1. In order to qualify for a warranty repair - it has to be out of spec and/or destroyed in order for the dealer to replace for free while within the warranty period, BUT if you want the SE "most" just have to pay the difference.

2. There are a few who have experienced this compensator issue clunk or marbles rolling round, not everyone, but enough to cause "concern".

3. Some have waited too late and it has exploded and did more damage.

So while tooling around this weekend, I stopped into my local dealers - both the SM's at these dealers are down to earth, laid back guys, honest and always seems to do what they can for everyone. I have met the arrogant I-know-more-than-you types, and these guys are just not that way. Also keep in mind that I did not purchase my bike from them, but I have bought some bling and accessories.

So I asked them, what have they seen and/or experienced regarding this compensator doodad.... now PLEASE do not flame me, do not get on my case - I am an HD n00b and I am still learning and I am a man who wants to be educated so I can make my own informed decisions, I do not follow the moo train/herd that sometimes can happen on these forums, I am just delivering what was told to me, and both of them had the same story....

1. Since the 2009 bikes have come out, combined both of them have had to deal with bad compensators about 2-3 times. Both dealerships have sold several bikes combined.

2. They are obligated by or to the Moco in order for them to get reimbursed for their time and/or the part, to send in the bad part - and it is checked.

3. Both of them, quite adamant about this - say that for the few that have come in, was because of heavy abuse/misuse. Trying to do wheelies and burn-outs on baggers no less - popping the clutch while motor revving etc. Trying to do tricks with a bike that was not designed for that.

Now I am giving the story here in a boiled down fashion, both were very busy and yet took their time in explaining this perceived issue of faulty compensators - both chats were a good 15 mins as I went through all that knew and had read here on this forum and others... do they deny that there are some that just go bad, no, do some compensators for some reason just do not hold up, yeah sure - one of the Dealerships did replace one cause it "went bad" while in warranty and was for a gent who really keeps it as garage jewelry.

Also they both said, that if you are experiencing the clunk - take it in ASAP, the dealer will fix, tweak, replace, what needs to be done until it is right - if they have to order another stock one or replace with SE and you pay the difference - and yes some Dealerships will UG some to the SE on their dime - all depends on what kind of customer you are I guess.

They both ALSO said that if you are hearing the marbles - then you waited way too long and should have brought it in to be inspected sooner, so if any of you are experiencing that clunk - take it in to the dealer you trust immediately.

I am pretty easy on my bike. I do not ride hard or race, or slam thru the gears - so it will be interesting for me this year as I finally put some miles on her and see if I have to deal with this issue.

ride safe everyone.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristoHD
3. Both of them, quite adamant about this - say that for the few that have come in, was because of heavy abuse/misuse. Trying to do wheelies and burn-outs on baggers no less - popping the clutch while motor revving etc. Trying to do tricks with a bike that was not designed for that.

ride safe everyone.
I am calling BS on that. I am very easy on my bike, just ride a lot of miles. Never a burnout, wheelie, or popping clutch, and still am on my 3rd compensator. This last one was the SE for no charge from dealer.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:31 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sefferdog
I am calling BS on that. I am very easy on my bike, just ride a lot of miles. Never a burnout, wheelie, or popping clutch, and still am on my 3rd compensator. This last one was the SE for no charge from dealer.
Id have to agree with you. Two guys I ride with are not hot rodders by any stretch of the imagination. One of them has about 13k on his 09 SG and the other has about 7K on his 09 SG. Both of their comps were out of spec. In an earlier post I put in this thread, I wrote that a tech at a local dealership says he can pull a brand new one off their shelf that is not the SE version and has no miles on it and it will be out of spec.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:41 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've asked this before and I'll ask it again (cause I never got an answer) - Why does this only happen on touring models?
Gary D.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:51 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

07 softail here and more than a little noise. It was destroyed. But yes its like three baggers to one softail/dyna.