Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Harley Heated Grips-Ignition Wire Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 01:11 PM
81 Low Rider
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Relay is a good idea, but I can not stuff one more wire in my headlight. It almost does not bolts together now. I have wired in an Ulta Cool, Oil/Head temp Gauges, passing lamps, running lights, radio and cruise controle in there.

Soldering in the wire was not that bad, but it would have been better if it was set up like the instructions had directed. My concern is that the next guy who owns the bike or bikes with HD Heated grips is going to be throwing wrenches tracing down electrical issues with inconsistent wiring directions. I have tried to label all the wires that are not factory, but it is starting to be come overwhelming. Those instructions seem a bit unprofessional from a company like HD and I was bit surprised that they have not been addressed by them with all the complaints posted on them over the years.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:25 AM
miketv84
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi, I pretty much have the same problem you did. 2007 Road King, same fuse box set up with the 2 wires going into the accessories fuse, with a blank terminal attached to a bus bar on the other side of the fuse. So your solution was soldering the O/W to the end of the blank terminal on the accessories fuse? And you had no issues with this going forward?
I was laughing as I was reading the forum because I was doing everything you were (trying to removed the pin, etc) . Please email me when you can . Thanks.

miketv84@gmail.com

Old 12-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
For future reference, you can put a small relay in the fairing/nacelle that gets power run up from a fuse at the battery and is triggered by the headlight o/w and black wires. Now you have plenty of power up front.
4 dollar relay solves the problem. This is my go to solution.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:43 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by 81 Low Rider
Hi,

Relay is a good idea, but I can not stuff one more wire in my headlight. It almost does not bolts together now. I have wired in an Ulta Cool, Oil/Head temp Gauges, passing lamps, running lights, radio and cruise controle in there.

Soldering in the wire was not that bad, but it would have been better if it was set up like the instructions had directed. My concern is that the next guy who owns the bike or bikes with HD Heated grips is going to be throwing wrenches tracing down electrical issues with inconsistent wiring directions. I have tried to label all the wires that are not factory, but it is starting to be come overwhelming. Those instructions seem a bit unprofessional from a company like HD and I was bit surprised that they have not been addressed by them with all the complaints posted on them over the years.
The relay can be hidden anywhere like a side cover.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:46 AM
miketv84
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Heated Grip same issue

Originally Posted by 81 Low Rider
Hi,

Hi, I pretty much have the same problem you did. 2007 Road King, same fuse box set up with the 2 wires going into the accessories fuse, with a blank terminal attached to a bus bar on the other side of the fuse. So your solution was soldering the O/W to the end of the blank terminal on the accessories fuse? And you had no issues with this going forward?
I was laughing as I was reading the forum because I was doing everything you were (trying to removed the pin, etc) . Please email me when you can . Thanks.

miketv84@gmail.com

miketv84@gmail.com