Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost Heel Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:54 AM
jrspada4
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Heel Shifter

So, I took my '10 RoadKing in for it's 5k service recently. I've put about 600 miles on it since. Yesterday while riding home on the interstate my heel shifter fell off. Of course, I didn't notice it until I got home. I only really use it to find Neutral and as a heel stop,so it's not a huge deal. Does anyone know if the service techs remove the heel shifter when they're adjusting the clutch? I'm hoping I can argue they didn't torque it properly if they did. I'd rather not have to pay to replace it if it was their mistake. I know it was on tight before. I torqued it myself and used Blue LocTite on it at the beginning of the season when I adjusted the height of the arm.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:58 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No need to remove shifter to adjust the clutch. Only if they pull the primary case they would need to remove the shifters!

Old 06-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

No, the do NOT remove the shifters as part of the service unless the primary cover has to come off.

Losing shifters is a very common problem. What usually happens is vibration shakes the bolt loose and everything loosens up and comes apart, or the splines in the softer of the two metals gets chewed up and strips out. I just replaced mine four days ago when the toe shifter stripped the shifter shaft. I had to flip my heel shifter around and use it to finish the ride and get home. One thing you can do is use a longer bolt, and secure the other end with lock nut to keep it from backing out.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:10 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the first things I did was remove my shifter. Never use it and it was always in the way. Now I have a spare in case the toe shifter falls off.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Johansson
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the same thing, took the heel shift lever off and put a chrome cap on it

Old 06-05-2011, 09:41 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

That is the first thing I do is take off the heel shifter and move the toe shifter to the outer splines. Mucho better for me at least.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:41 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
One of the first things I did was remove my shifter. Never use it and it was always in the way. Now I have a spare in case the toe shifter falls off.
you and me both, plus i took the shaft and had it cut short so it would not bother me ever again

Old 06-05-2011, 09:58 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

No need to remove it for service,but arnt they suppose to check fastners with the service?

Old 06-05-2011, 10:30 AM
cogener8
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love mine and even more so after putting the footboard extensions on. Maybe some one on here that didnt like theirs can hook you up.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:34 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

When I bought my 2007 SG I lost 2 heel shifters in under 2K. After the second one I went and bought an after market and used Locktite to seal the install.

Quick Reply: Lost Heel Shifter