Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange noise in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 03:19 PM
John Bakker
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my 2012 SG in for its first service yesterday and complained about the neutral noise that goes away when clutch pulled in. They were just about to pull the primary cover off when the Service Manager received a special Service Bulletin from HD (how's that for timing!). He did show me the bulletin and it addresses the very problem.
Harley says it is caused bt the first gear pair being straight cut and is simply the gears backlashing against each other which apparently is normal and of no concern. Apparently that is the same reason given for the first gear whine upon deceleration in that gear.
So, it's in the design and not a defective transmission.
Let's hope they're right. At least it's in my file from 300 miles and 1200 miles so if there's a problem down the road, they are aware of it.
With the exception of the gearbox noises and clunky shifting, I'm loving the new Glide.
John

Old 09-11-2011, 08:52 PM
dge
2nd Gear
Default neutral rattle

I have a 2011 street glide and mine had the same symptoms. I took my bike in and they tore down the transmission and found nothing wrong with it. They then call HD and were informed of a service bulletin. The bulletin says it is a normal condition due to the necessary backlash within the first gear pair. They are saying it is a normal condition affecting 2007 and later Touring,Dyna,Softail, Twin Cam CVO's.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dge
I have a 2011 street glide and mine had the same symptoms. I took my bike in and they tore down the transmission and found nothing wrong with it. They then call HD and were informed of a service bulletin. The bulletin says it is a normal condition due to the necessary backlash within the first gear pair. They are saying it is a normal condition affecting 2007 and later Touring,Dyna,Softail, Twin Cam CVO's.
I have it too on my 12 LTD. Sounds like a popcorn popper for christ sake!
My 09 SG Never had it and I've purposely listened to a friends 11 LTD along with a few other late model touring bikes and nothing!
Unless they changed something recently, I see no reason why It should do it.
Like someone else said...Damage control until your warranty is gone. Then your SOL!

Smitty

Old 09-12-2011, 12:02 PM
John Bakker
Advanced

If this is a normal situation and part of the design, then you would think that all bikes would exhibit the same noise, unless of course they are fitting first gear pairs that have different tolerances, putting some on the loose side, which would explain the clatter. It will certainly be my objective to listen to as many new bikes as I can to see if this is a normal condition. Bike Week demos in Daytona will be a good testing ground for this.
Meanwhile, I guess we accept the info from HD in the Service Bulletin and the concerns are on file should tranny problems occur. Personally, I'm going to ride it and enjoy and not be concerned about the clatter. It is my chrome tractor after all and I love how she runs.
John

Old 05-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Shane08
Advanced

I would like to see the SB...my 103 SG has the same symptoms. Will go to Redline in after some miles are ridden.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Bagger60
2nd Gear

I don' know if this service bulletin I share with you is relevant, but you may want to check it out. It is M-1252A 2006-2009 Warranty 6 speed transmission replacement. It may be relevant is the transmission used in your bike if it was manufactured prior to 06/07 as there was no retaining ring used to retain the inner race. Your complaint sounds like what I went through until I finally found a dealer who is waiting now for 5 weeks to get the warranty replacement parts from Harley.