Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quieting down Reinhart True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Would any of you guys be interested in a set of wild pigs with a 2" inlet? I'm pretty sure I can get them custom made at a reasonable price.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:26 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

See the link below for a good idea on quieting those down.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...k-cheaply.html

Last edited by wjl24; 01-06-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:25 PM
rootbeer bob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread...i just got done installing a set of Rinehart extreme Duals on my 2011 E/G ultra. they were a x-mas present from the wife so on they went.Haven't did the rest of the mods. yet''breather and a tuner" haven't made up my mind which way to go yet trying to over come the x-mas CRUNCH on my budget. But anyway. i took the bike out..(just had to)..and yes LOUD!!! but what bugs me..now all my other bikes where non baggers with a lot of different pipes. So i don't know if this is because of the tour pack and saddlebags. But it seem like I'm getting a lot of exhaust noise from up around the bag's checked everything and it's tight and does not sound like a leak.. Is this normal or do i need to investigate deeper. and what could i be missing.. Love the sound when the bikes at idle..but under throttle it sucks

Old 01-06-2012, 05:28 PM
TaterSaladonaRoadking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldnt have got them if you want quiet pipes just throw your stock back on. Most people buy rh for the sound

Old 01-06-2012, 05:56 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BenBoosted
SpiderPig,

I went through the same issue after upgrading my 05 RK to a 10.5:1 95" with ported heads and cams (SE253). The cams aren't as big as yours, but I'm not too far off from the duration of your S&S 585 (237/252 compared to your 245/260). I had Rinehart TD's on my bike until this week. I loved the sound of the Rinehart TD's back when my bike was still stock displacement with stock cams, but once I upgraded anything longer than 20 miles caused my ears to start ringing when I got off of the bike.

Trying to quiet them down was an issue. I tried the Rinehart quiet baffles. They knocked maybe 10% off of the sound and the result was a sound I didn't like, especially when decelerating. So then I looked into changing out the slip-ons. The problem with that is that nobody but Bub makes a slip-on muffler that has a 2" inlet. Stock is 1.75" and the Rinehart TD pipes are 2". Bub's Stealth muffler was on back order the last I checked. Also, it was a $600+ gamble to find out if the Bub Stealths would be quiet enough as nobody around me has a set that I could listen to in person.

So after some searching on some other forums, I found out that getting a stock exhaust off of a 96"/103" bike (2009 and newer, where they moved the cat into the crossover pipe) is about the equivalent sound of a stock exhaust with SE slip-on's on our big bore 88"/95" motors. I picked up a stock take-off set from a 103" bike for $150, plugged the o2 bungs, and bolted it on. It's definitely not as QUIET as a stock 88" with stock exhaust, it's much louder. It's about the equivalent, IMO, of a stock 88" with some SE slip-ons.

I put about 50 miles on it yesterday at highway speed and heard something I haven't ever heard before while on the bike...tire noise while driving on a concrete highway. I've heard it in cars and trucks, but never on my RK, until now. I could still hear the exhaust note while cruising but I could hear other things as well. When hitting the gas the roar of a v-twin underneath me put a smile on my face but didn't cause my ears to ring. I'm looking forward to my first 200+ mile trip w/ this exhaust setup and to, most likely, enjoy non-ringing ears when I get off the bike.

If you'd like a video to get an idea of the sound, I'll be glad to make one and put it up.
Ben
Thanks for the suggestions. But I have few questions. The 2009 and later slip on's are 1 3/4. How did you get these to fit?

Secondly, these slip on's for the stock exhaust are restricted more on the left side vs the right side. How does this affect the TD set up?

Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 PM
BenBoosted
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
Ben
Thanks for the suggestions. But I have few questions. The 2009 and later slip on's are 1 3/4. How did you get these to fit?

Secondly, these slip on's for the stock exhaust are restricted more on the left side vs the right side. How does this affect the TD set up?
I got the the stock headers off of an older bike that had o2 sensors and plugged the ports, so I don't have true duals anymore. Its true the left baffle is different from the right, but with the stock pipes splitting the rear cylinder I'm getting about the same amount of exhaust out of each pipe.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have baffles,new never installed.What are they worth?Let's make a deal.

T K