Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried almost everything, bike won't start. Need suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:24 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WOS Bishop
Actually the gas tank is FULL and I actually thought that I might of got some bad gas so I added fuel injection cleaner and fuel treatment to the tank. The sputtering at 4000 rpms started right after I put the gas in.

Be careful what you add to the gas, it can do more harm than good. Many years ago I used fuel injection cleaner on a perfectly running bike just to keep it that way, and it gummed up everything, the bike would not start. I had to clean out the entire fuel system and start with fresh gas. I know you had a problem before you added anything, but you may have added to the problem.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 AM
WOS Bishop
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just called my Indy. I attempted to do this myself because I'm an engineer by trade and I love nothing more than tearing into something and the satisfaction that you get from doing it yourself and learning new things. I started out replacing all the small stuff and it just got deeper and deeper. Well, now it's just getting to be a headache and I pissing in the dark.

So I'm raising the white flag! I wish that I could be right there next to the Indy getting my hands dirty so that I can learn what to do next time.

I will update you guys with what is found when it is fixed. If you have any ideas in the next couple days, let me know. I still gotta get a trailer and get it over to him.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

I am surprised that no one has suggested that he disconnect any fuel management device and run straight off the ECM. Try that first.

It is fairly easy to set the TPS, and you do not need a breakout box. There are three wires going into the TPS. Slip a thin bare wire down the connector with the gray/purple wire. You may have to disconnect the connector to make sure that this wire will make contact with the TPS. Reconnect this connector, and attach the + lead to your DVOM to it. Attach the - lead of your DVOM to ground. Follow procedure for setting the cold and warm idle speeds in M-1105:
http://www.harley-heaven.com/M1105_idle_speed_MM.pdf

Old 08-24-2011, 10:46 AM
angelrod
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This how I check fuel line in my efi ultra . I run until gas tank is almost empty . Then put the bike on jack . Take the gas cup off .. Turn the ignition on . Put my ear next to gas tank opening , and play with run , stop switch and i heard that fuel pump won't stop with hissing sounds and yes it's a broken hose inside the tank

Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 AM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

FIXED

I found the problem. It was the Throttle Position Sensor. I just loosened the screws up enough to move it by hand and move it very small increments until the bike turned over. I did that and when it was in the right position, It fired right up. Now I am going to try the little wire thing to make sure it is in spec.

Do I stick the wire in the side where the TPS sensor is or in the fuse box? And my wires are different colors so, which wire is it? The one in the middle or left/right? My wires are Red on left Green in Middle and Black on right.

I don't scanalyzer to hook up to it. I've been playing with the idle speed by listening and then removing the 5 and 15 amp fuses. I have the battery disconnected right now too to try and clear any problems out. I'm gonna hook everything back up and take her for a test run.

Last edited by WOS Bishop; 08-24-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:24 AM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

I do have a purple wire at the TPS sensor. Gotta locate a thin wire and get the correct levels and I will test.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:37 PM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

Test run was good. It's idling a little lower than I want and it's giving me a solid red light which is TPS. However the bike is running good and has good response. I'm gonna try and tweak the TPS with the DVOM and see if I can't get the code to go away. I wanna get the idle up. It's idling low enough to cause the oil light to come on and the oil guage is all the way to 0. The bike is not sputtering at 4000 and it's not cutting off when I come to a stop. Just need to fine tune it. May take to a Indy if I can't figure it out too fast by testing the voltage on the TPS.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:30 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Glad you got her going.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:51 PM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
Glad you got her going.

Me TOO!